Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Banned
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I will follow this post with some pics of a VG2 I aquired last weekend from a MN family. According to the grandson, his grandfather was in the 5th Bat. 16 AD and he captured this from surrendering troops in CZ in the final days. Its minty, matching and correct with grease still in various areas. The cut and repair in the buttstock are interesting. The grandson indicated that his grandfather did not make the cut. I plan to post pics of another VG2 with a similar cut and repair. Perhaps fading memories. Perhaps not.

Scott B

·
Registered
9,193 Posts
Holy smokes, that's way way over the top. The last one I saw looked identical to that one, albeit in lesser condition than that one. That was about 8 years ago. Outstanding piece!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Just kidding-I said the same thing when Larry Kauffman showed me his Winchester M-1 Garand serial number 1,000,001; never proofed as it was never fired.

·
Administrator
19,287 Posts
Now that is something.

·
Banned
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the comments guys! Its been a while since I scored a VG type rifle.

I was able to take some comparison pics with another VG2 late yesterday. They compliment each other quite nicely.

As to value, IMO a matched and correct swjxe is rarer but I am uncertain if it would bring more money. Its hard to compare the two. The swjxe is just a receiver marking and otherwise a standard late 't' range bnz while a VG2 resembles a K98k only in that it is a bolt action of the same calibre. It would be a very easy decision for me if I was inclined to be a late war collector. Just my opinion.

Scott

1 - 20 of 46 Posts