Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about purchasing a M69 Vetterli that seems to be in really good condition. The serial number is 45649 and it was made by, I think, Society of Swiss... not sure of the rest. There appear to be several manufacturers of the 69 until the Bern plant opened with the 78. Since I can't make out the manufacturer, I'm having difficulty dating the rifle. Also, the nocks form has 1949 stamped on it with a crest of some sort. Is anyone familiar with this manufacturer and what the nocks form number and crest might mean?

Greg

·
Registered
612 Posts
Your rifle was made by SIG Neuhausen (Soc. Ind. Suisse. Syst. Vetterlin). Mine is numbered 47305 and was manufactured in 1873-4. Inspected by Major Schmidt is symbolized by an S below a +. 59,000 were manufactured by this arsenal. The federal acceptance mark is a U under a +.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bohanan! From what I can tell, this is an early 69/71 as it still retains the two gas relief holes on the top of the receiver. Is there a serial number/info site for the SIG Neuhausen manufactured rifles? Does yours have a number on the Nock's form behind the rear sight?

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Beautiful, Norm! Is yours modified for center fire? If not are those rim fire cartridges? If so can you give me a lead on who made them up for you? Thanks for the chart. Looks like mine is a M69/71 manufactured in mid 1873. I'm still perplexed by the number and shield stamp on the Nock's form. Any ideas about that?

Greg

·
Copper Bullet member
2,483 Posts

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, so much for my M69 Vetterli dreams.... The seller of the rifle on Gunbroker evidently put a rifle up for sale that he had already sold. I won the auction, but the seller said he no longer had the rifle. This has never happened before. So it's back to the hunt! Thanks for all of the info, guys! I have it all saved for the next one....

Greg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.