Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one have black powder load data for the vetterli ? I have 325 and 310 grn lead projectiles to work with. Smokeless data would be helpful also. The load I have now is 11.9 grns of unique and it works well but there is a lot of air space,and I like to have a powder loading that fills the case a little better.

·
Copper Bullet member
2,483 Posts
Parashooter wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The black powder charge for GP71 and 78 was about 58 grains. This was in rimfire cases with a bit more capacity than modern centerfire cases, of course. The smokeless charge for GP90 was 19.3 to 22.4 grains, indicating the burn rate was similar to 4759 and XMP5744. Those wishing to duplicate the original ballistics would do well to try these or similar powders.

Plenty of other powders will work in 10.4x38R. Just look for something that goes about 1430 fps and it should shoot to the sight graduations with bullets around 310 grains.

The US 40/65 cartridge is reasonably close to 10.4x38R and its data can be reduced about 10% for the Swiss round.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this worked for me , you can find loading data for the 40/60 here http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

NORM

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.