Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is the story...

Last year my secretary called to let me know she was feeling ill and wouldn't be in. I told her to go ahead a call in for a sub. The next morning I walk in to the office and an older gentleman is sitting at her desk. I asked him if he was subing for my secretary, he chuckled, and stated, "at your service". I noticed he was wearing a WWII veteran cap, and being the WW2 buff that I am, I proceeded to ask him if he was a veteran. He responded that he was a veteran of the pacific. He didn't really share any stories, and I didn't push. He did state that a student had asked him if "he had killed anyone". He stated that "didn't know...that a lot of times you were fighting in the dark...and that he didn't like the thought that he had killed someone".

We talked about tons of other stuff; school, children, politics, the state of the Union, Iraq, among other things. I mentioned that my grandfather was a WW2 veteran, and that I collected WW2 era rifles, etc. He said he had a sword and knifes that he had brought back and that I could have them. He said he had given his rifle to his daughter, and that he had a "prayer flag" that he gave to a man that promised him he would send it back to the Japanese soldier's family in Japan, but stated that he really didn't think that ever happened. ***He said he would try and find the stuff and call me when he found it.

Well, a year later, I get a call. Today he gave me a sword and three knives. Take a look. The tang isn't signed, and the black scabbard has cracked in half and is now held together by duct tape.

Can anyone tell me anything about this sword? What about the knives?

http://s201.photobucket.com/albums/aa169/robg75/

·
Gold Bullet member
6,110 Posts
The knives looks pretty exotic and non-Japanese. From some of the islands ?
The sword is a hand-made traditional katana. Due to the three peg holes, one all the way close to the end, the blade had been shortened, proably quite some time ago and guessing a shinto era blade.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Well, to me the first knife on the left looks like a Tibet KRIS...The one in the middle looks Philipino...The third looks Indian...None of them Japanese...Other countries.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,639 Posts
Great story and I think you have a pretty good blade there.

How long is it from tip to the notch where the tang starts?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The blade is about 27 1/2 inches long. The blade looks like it has been sharpened. The sword is 38 inches long from end to end.

Would the scabbard have been covered in leather or is that how it should look?

Rob

·
Gold Bullet member
4,329 Posts
Nice group of items. If you go on Ebay under knives and pacific, you will find the going rate for some othe items. Sword value will be based on temper line, condition of blade, forging pattern, absence of nicks, grinding, cracks, pits, openings, bends, etc. We will need several close-up, higher quality photos of the blade to be more specific. nice group of stuff!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts