Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought this G98 and I haven't picked it up yet but I am eager to learn it's history, I want to know if it possible if I can track where the rifle has been (it has a unit marking disc)... what I really want to find is if the rifle ever served opposite Australian infantry on the western front (which would increase the probability of the rifle being an Aussie bringback) which would just be bloody awesome.

So are there any regiment diaries?

If anyone wants to try and look for me the stock disc is 179.R 7.10 The rifle is stamped 1904 SPANDAU SN 2450, thats all I know at this stage.

Any info would be appreciated greatly

·
8,094 Posts
Your marking - 179.R 7.10. - translates as"10 weapon, 7th Company of the 179th Infantry Regiment". The 179th was the Kgl. Sächs. 14. Infanterie-Regiment Nr.179, or the 14th Royal Saxon Infantry Regiment, Imperial German Infantry Regiment 179.

At the start of the Great War in 1914, the 179th was part of the XIX Armee Korps. You can look up this Army's composition in "The History of 251 Divisions of the German Army Which Participated in the War (1914 - 1918) here:

http://www.archive.org/stream/historiesoftwohu00unit#page/n5/mode/2up

The 19th Division history starts on p. 295. Keep this link handy, you will need it often and it is one of the best.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
TP thank you so much for the link with reference to units of the Armies of the Kaiser. It appears a valuable resource, but I have experienced some difficulty in applying my interpretation of my Kar 88 markings. Not wishing to disrupt this thread, I am initiating a new one requesting ID help with its markings.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts