Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back home on leave for almost a week before I am off for 2 months of TDY related training. Thought I'd stop by a few local spots I haven't been to in 6 or 8 months just in case there was something there I had to buy lol. Well I didn't end up buying this very interesting piece (to me anyways). I thought the craftsmanship was done quite nicely and one of the guys who knows the guy it came from postulated it was a European modification. But it looks like the metal was nickeled over after the engravings were done. And the work on the stock to me is pretty impressive, and creative. I have heard before that there are some Mosins that were engraved by the Japanese. Whether this is or not I don't know, but a Dragon on the stock, and lets call it the 'dragon skin' wrist area of the stock could be something from Japan? Just tossing out ideas, if anyone has any.

As for the rifle, it looks to be a M44. The guy said the tang was 1945 Izhevsk and showed me a pic of a 1945 Izhevsk tang. But I don't recall noticing nickel plating on the under side. Could have been the angle of the pic, I don't know. In a Russian M44 stock. Can see bayonet cutout on one of the pics. Receiver scrubbed and engraved over. The barrel measured 19 1/4 inches. So that is 1 inch shorter than stock barrel length. You could see the seam where the front sight sleeve was slid on, and the crown where the seam was as well. I wonder if the old bayonet sleeve was removed, the new sight installed, and then crowned an inch shorter. Very light carbine. Mauser looking style butt plate was fitted to the Mosin stock. May be able to see the sling slot that was filled too. The wood engraving impressed me. I guess it's way beyond my skill lever. The dragon and 'dragon skin' wrist I thought was inventive. AT $130 it's not too bad I guess but I don't need to deal with another rifle right now, got a motorcycle that needs an oil change and new tires! Anyways, pictures. Discussion welcomed and encouraged!

·
Premium Member
105,711 Posts
Pure fantasy piece, but interesting!

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I may have to go back. I keep looking at the pics and it kind of keeps growing on me haha! I did a search, and I didn't see a picture that emulated the carving. I didn't look super close, but it looks like pretty decent work to me. Elder Scrolls vs Skyrim I found out. Not a gamer of those, but other things. Got some League of Legends in there, as well as console.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
8,358 Posts
If they had left the front alone I would ask you where this is and buy it myself. I don't normally go for sporter stuff but someone put a lot of work into this. And it doesn't look bad. Their art that is.. I hate what they did to the rifle.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Normally nc, I'd agree. But this rifle I think is unique. Many times there are modifications done where they are just cut with a hacksaw and left. It looks like someone put quite a bit of time in to this one. The muzzle has a nice crown on it. Everything seems tastefully themed. Fantasy as suggested, I would agree with in this case. Normally I wouldn't give something like this a second look either. But was pretty neat when I came across it. I asked the guy if they had anything old and Russian. He said yes, but kind of had a weird look on his face. Then said it was engraved. I was expecting something kind of like this with engravings, but not this much, or in the stock either to such an extent.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
For that price there is no way I would have passed on it. That is Asian art - that shoots. Lol, go get it and then do a range report with SG's 27Rv!

Seriously, think of the HOURS and HOURS that went into that. Some warlord would pay big bucks for it!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
That gun looks like it came out of the middle east, guessing Iraq or Afghanistan. I'm leaning more towards Iraq, as I saw a lot of "jungle scene" posters in Iraq with tigers on them... they seem to like tigers a lot there.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
8,358 Posts
Yes but my issue is theres little left to tell what it was..
Its like me chopping the front end off a corvette and doing art all over the rest. He could have done that same art to the front and left the front sight alone.

However I think your post here is trying to convince yourself to purchase this one lol. Go buy it you have already lost that battle.

Please pm me with info, if you don't buy it I will. Will look good hanging over my mystical china dragon wizard kung fu fireplace.(Im joking, but really pm me with details, figure its worth buying just for a convo starter, but im guessing because I want it it will no doubt make you wan tto grab it even more!)
Normally nc, I'd agree. But this rifle I think is unique. Many times there are modifications done where they are just cut with a hacksaw and left. It looks like someone put quite a bit of time in to this one. The muzzle has a nice crown on it. Everything seems tastefully themed. Fantasy as suggested, I would agree with in this case. Normally I wouldn't give something like this a second look either. But was pretty neat when I came across it. I asked the guy if they had anything old and Russian. He said yes, but kind of had a weird look on his face. Then said it was engraved. I was expecting something kind of like this with engravings, but not this much, or in the stock either to such an extent.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well a buddy of mine I haven't seen for a while are going to head back to the LGS. If it's still there, he has peer pressured (read convinced haha) me in to getting it. I showed him the link and he likes it too. I didn't want to drop the money on it since I wanted to put it in to my motorcycle. But it looks like I will be helping to improve my credit rating by utilizing the CC lol!

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Some guns, even if junkers, are just too fun to pass up. If you sell it someday, I bet you make money on it. lol, that rifle appeals to non-Mosin folks probably more than us.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
8,358 Posts
Well a buddy of mine I haven't seen for a while are going to head back to the LGS. If it's still there, he has peer pressured (read convinced haha) me in to getting it. I showed him the link and he likes it too. I didn't want to drop the money on it since I wanted to put it in to my motorcycle. But it looks like I will be helping to improve my credit rating by utilizing the CC lol!
I knew you were trying to make a case for getting it.
Whenever you post "what do you think" and then argue with people that dont like it. It means you are goin to get it :)

And the CC rationalization. LMAO You are hopelessly lost.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Lol, we ALL do that. Unless they are online. Then we stay VEWY, VEWY quiet like Elmer Fudd until we get them. Then we post them. You guys said Mosins are like rabbits.

Lol, 95% of us are telling him to get it. Even the ones that don't like it - allegedly!!! Boy are we all messed up or what?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
The "weird look on his face" means he'll take $100 OTD for it.
About 2 cents per hour for the artist.
It appeals to me as an art piece. And with the re-crown job, it likely shoots pretty good....How's the bore ? (Like it matters.)

If you don't buy it you'll always have it stuck in your head.

Curious about the legality with no serial number as well.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts