Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is from a very early P block VZ24 accepted in 1924 with several signs of german use. Retained a stock disc with the marking as shown in the pic...can anyone tell me what the disc markings means? Thanks!

Eye Wood Gas Circle Oval

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,481 Posts
10 HN is 10th Border Infantry Regiment (fortress troops), weapon #290.

The 1989 book Know Your Czechoslovakian Pistols by R. J. Berger has a list of these unit designations. The book is out of print but you can get it at www.bookfinder.com. Prices there (today) run from $157.20 to $2,500.00.

·
15,481 Posts
The first VZ24 block was the N block in 1924. I have a 1925 X block. You win the prize for the earliest VZ24 rifle I remember seeing.

Fluid Cloud Cylinder Material property Font

·
15,481 Posts

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
10HN is a Border Battalion not Regiment.certainly not fortress as in 1924 was minor builded the defense line to german state. 10HN Bat.was located in east Slovakia.

·
15,481 Posts
10HN is a Border Battalion not Regiment.certainly not fortress as in 1924 was minor builded the defense line to german state. 10HN Bat.was located in east Slovakia.
Thanks for the correction, Andy. The book said "HN Border Infantry (holding forts)".
I now understand that is 10th Border Infantry Battalion in East Slovakia.

Do you know when (which s/n block) the crest in the photo below was first used on VZ24 rifles?

VZ24 with === BRNO === crest (also has Iranian marking)
Material property Natural material Gas Font Drink

·
15,481 Posts
I believe 1925,but will check it tomorrow. your iranian Vz.24 should be later dated.
Yes, it is dated 1929 (see photo below).

The change in crest should be between the P block (1924) and the X block (1925). See photos of P block and X block rifles in posts #3 and #4.

Wood Handwriting Font Jewellery Electric blue

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Smid wrote that the old name used on Vz23 continued into first 24 contract, i believe the change was done in T range, but could be done some exceptions. Offcoarse the change to limited company was already done in june 1924, anyway new stamps were delivered much later, and since 1925 is used mainly the Československá Znrojovka Brno in 3 rows..

·
15,481 Posts
Smid wrote that the old name used on Vz23 continued into first 24 contract, i believe the change was done in T range, but could be done some exceptions. Offcoarse the change to limited company was already done in june 1924, anyway new stamps were delivered much later, and since 1925 is used mainly the Československá Znrojovka Brno in 3 rows..
Yes, the T block sounds about right for the name (receiver crest) change. We know from photos in this thread that it was after P and before X. ZB clearly had some unused receivers with the old crest which they used to build rifles during the 1935 'emergency' - and those were sold to Spain in 1938. I think that was because they wanted to get rid of all the unused rifles which lacked the lion crest. It may be that the old receivers used to build some of the 1935 rifles had some minor defects which were allowed due to the 'emergency'.

It occurs to me that the old receivers used on some of the rifles sold to Spain would more properly be called "early VZ24 receivers" rather than "VZ23 receivers" - when in fact early VZ24 receivers and VZ23 receivers were exactly the same.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Most probably the receivers on Vz23 and early Vz24 are identical,so when produced as spare parts,they could be called with both modell names,but i assume the first reserve parts contract was realised post 1924 or in very late that year.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts