Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
NonCorrosive and boxer primed (CCI primers). Good “service grade” ammo with the only complaints I remember is that it fouled (gummed up) HK-91s to cause malfunctions. Possibly due to the asphaltum bullet seal. Didn’t bother my HK-91, and Lake City and many others use that type of sealant.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
This might be in the ammo bunker. OP asked what were the names of 308/7.62x51 ammo that caused problems in rifles. Sampson (Israeli) did a number on some of the M1A'a, Cavim was another manufacturer, Suggest firing the firearm remotely to check out the ammo. Frank

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I ran many thousands of rounds of the CAVIM ammo in a variety of semi and full auto guns. Never had a lick of trouble with it. I had also heard the black bullet sealant created problems with the fluted chambers in the HK stuff but never actually saw this problem myself. Never affected any of my guns. All the stuff I bought came in green boxes of 20rds marked CAVIM and they were packed in a larger cardboard box of 1000rds if memory serves. I've heard of loose packed Cavim headstamped ammo being sold many years back and it seemed to have questionable results. I wouldn't trust loose packed ammo....the indian 308 was a perfect example of that...did some damage

Frank

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
I ran many thousands of rounds of the CAVIM ammo in a variety of semi and full auto guns. Never had a lick of trouble with it. I had also heard the black bullet sealant created problems with the fluted chambers in the HK stuff but never actually saw this problem myself. Never affected any of my guns. All the stuff I bought came in green boxes of 20rds marked CAVIM and they were packed in a larger cardboard box of 1000rds if memory serves. I've heard of loose packed Cavim headstamped ammo being sold many years back and it seemed to have questionable results. I wouldn't trust loose packed ammo....the indian 308 was a perfect example of that...did some damage

Frank
like Frank my “good luck” with CAVIM was in green boxes, 5 green boxes in a long plastic pac, 1000rd cardboard case. All of it was recently produced. I sold pallets of it at Texas shows without a complaint. Had a lot of 7x57 CAVIM with good history. Still shooting and reloading that stuff today.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
I have shot a considerable amount of CAVIM 7.62x51 going back a long time, and through full auto FAL and G3. I relied on this stuff, and it always worked. I can’t say where the stories come from, but there are lots of people out there who talk without knowing. Consider this an echo of the previous responses in this thread.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.