Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Mrs just gave me a Czarist pattern M1891 Izhevsk Arsenal 1916r dated. Old Century Arms 80's import and still has the hang tag from CAI. Mismatch bolt (matches self) and barrel shank, buttplate and magazine floorplate match. Typical dings and receiver finish, bore needs to be cleaned. Doesn't look like the rifle has any foriegn marks, just a old WWI pattern rifle. There is a white painted ring just lower on the front site- could this be a 'Drill Rifle' marking? She paid $125. OTD. This is my first WWI vintage MN, I must have 15 WWII and post war versions.

Anyway the only problem is no cleaning rod, does anyone know a source for the 29" rods? The obvious sources are out (Rich Reich, Numrich, Springfield Sporters). Thanks!

·
Premium Member
105,711 Posts
You'll only find them on the secondary market.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Did you ask the Mrs? She seems to BE one helluva good purchasing agent. You are one lucky man.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Did you ask the Mrs? She seems to one helluva good purchasing agent. You are one lucky man.
I second that!! :D If my wife went to buy me a rifle I'd end up with Air soft. :D

·
Registered
504 Posts
You'll only find them on the secondary market.
He's right, finding a M91 cleaning rod for sale is tough. About the easiest way I ever came up with, was to buy a beater M91 just for its cleaning rod. But then, there would be question of what to do with what remained of the beater...so I just draw comfort from my illusion that my M91s with no rods are "correct" because the rods got lost shortly after being issued, having briefly been used as skewers to cook potatoes over a fire.

You might find a rod on eBay or just luck up one elsewhere, but its price will likely rival the cost of beater M91. Century Arms has U-fix-Em M91s once in a while but it's a MASSIVE roll of the dice as to the likelihood of the one you get having a rod, or even being a M91 for that matter.

Have you tried the Want to Buy page on the Trader here?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Check Numrich/ e-gunparts.com, Springfield Sporters and Rick Reich. Might have to go with an aftermarket replacement. Check Tenn. Gun Parts and Mark Kubes as well. Also, the gun auction sites, Auction Arms and Gunbroker.com .Good luck.

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,970 Posts
There was a WTS post on the trader a couple weeks ago. Send me a PM if interested - They were 35 bucks delivered & I bought one for my M91 B Barrel restoration project. I don't think he was a vendor, but he had a few for sale. I have bought from this guy before & he is a good fellow to deal with.

Pahtu.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I'd check Numrich again. They have a good source of decent repros- made in USA I hope but probably some 9 year old in Calcutta. I got one from them a couple months ago ~$17. Until then... put a shorter one in.... "for looks" sort of a placebo

·
Registered
112 Posts
Don't forget the "Finn" Mosin cleaning kit, as it has the brass cleaning rod extention (about 4 inches long), as well as some other neat stuff. Buymilsurp.com has them for around $20.00 yes the M91 cleaning rods are very hard to come buy found one for my N E W Mosin, from a guy in Finnland. Don't give up, they do turn up every so often.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks to all for the 'heads up', I've searched the WTS board and found the vendor (whom I dealt with before) that is selling 29" rods for $35.00 ppd.

I've found a new favorite forum here.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts