Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Buffalo Bore 95-gr JHP +P (15 rounds tested)

I shot 15 rounds over a chronograph using my 1985 Bulgarian Makarov.

This round came available around April of 2011. Buffalo Bore has provided external ballistic testing of this round on their website:
http://www.buffalobore.com and the velocities I measured agree with their data. They state that the cartridge is constructed with a "flash supressed powder" to avoid night blinding.

I corresponded earlier with Tim Sundles of Buffalo Bore who wrote that this cartridge, and the Buffalo Bore 115-grain Hard Cast Flat Nose bullet, is built within the standard pressure limit of the 9x18 cartridge (24,000 psi). Buffalo Bore labels this as "+P" to call attention to the increased velocities with their ammunition.

Manufacturer: Buffalo Bore Ammunition Company, Saint Ignatius, Montana
Headstamp: 9x18 MAK *-* (Starline Brass)
Cartridge Case: Brass, Boxer primed, non-corrosive primer
Bullet: (2 weighed): 95.1 and 95.2 grains. Hornady XTP JHP bullet; copper-clad, flat copper base
Magnetic: No magnetic components

OAL (ins)
Range: 0.921 - 0.925
Avg: 0.923

Velocity: (fps)
Range: 1132 - 1177
Avg: 1151
ES: 45
SD: 14

This ammo makes a Makarov feel like a P-64 - it's powerful and has a kick. It shot accurately with no feeding problems. BB notes that the velocity is above the speed of sound (1120 fps) and drops below the speed of sound around 28 yards out.

I noticed that the opening on these bullets is a bit wider and the walls of the copper cladding are a bit thinner at the mouth than what I've seen in other Hornady XTP bullets. Also the interior walls of the mouth are beveled, unlike the older Hornady bullet. When did they change their design? Here's a photo comparison with Buffalo Bore on the left:

·
Gold Bullet Member
932 Posts
Be better to order at least two boxes to save on shipping, ouch, 14.95. After owning a box of that, I see no other need looking for something that will out perform it.

·
Gold Bullet Member
932 Posts
Did you change out recoil springs? I thought your comment on the old Hornady round was interesting. I never read anyone making that statement about velocity versus penetration. So just because BB HP has more velocity, it does not guarantee more penetration?

·
Super Moderator
6,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did go to the 19# spring years ago. I think there has been some evidence that higher velocity Hornady XTPs will penetrate more but I'd like to see good evidence.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Did you change out recoil springs? I thought your comment on the old Hornady round was interesting. I never read anyone making that statement about velocity versus penetration. So just because BB HP has more velocity, it does not guarantee more penetration?
Penetration is more complex than just velocity. Bullet design matters: take your basic black talon for example, which rips thru the medium after expansion, supposedly (hell if I know if the hype is true). That is going to have a ton of friction, so it will slow down fast. Take the same load but put in a simple JHP, and it will go deeper, and use a ball round, it will go deeper still, etc. Other factors such as losing part of the mass, depth reached before any expansion, and more all play into it. There are many factors to it. All things being equal, more velocity will mean more penetration within some parameters, but even that can be tricky as more velocity can also deform the round upon impact or the target material can do something odd like surface tension when hit so fast ...!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts