Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Monco
Posted - 03/16/2004 : 8:22:26 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would like to see as many pictures of the different varieties of mechanism. Can any one post pics? Thanks, Otto

DocAV
Posted - 03/16/2004 : 11:15:47 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are only three catch mechanisms used in the M91 cav carbine:
1st type: ( 1895-1900 circa) a sliding latch on the bayonet shank which locked the blade into the hinge frame
2nd type: (1900-1910 circa) a two position lever on the Hinge frame, with detent dimples milled into side of Hinge frame. Lever knob is grooved for better grip.
3rd type: (From WW I to 1944) press button latch on central hinge pin.

All three types are distinctive, and some Second type latches were converted to third type in the transitional period before WW I.

Atlpete
Posted - 03/17/2004 : 11:18:49 AM
Hobbs' book, "The Carcano" has a page illustrating all the variations of the hinge latch (you know Doc, I seem to remember there being more than just three). If you have any interest in Carcanos the book is a must have.

DocAV
Posted - 03/17/2004 : 4:53:39 PM
Altpete, thanks for the ref. to Hobbs' Book. I took "Il 91" as my reference (1970s publication, in Italian); it goes into quite a lot of detail about Cav-carbine bayonet fittings with photos.
I should get a copy of Hobbs to see how it matches my collection ( I am a very critical analyser of "Information" vs "Real Examples"). I have all three variants and also some transitionals.

DMinFla
Posted - 03/17/2004 : 5:50:10 PM
Hobbs book shows a picture of nine variations of latchs on the carbine and tells of another one not pictured.DMinFla

Correction: what Hobbs shows are variations of the triple permutation "front sight blade - front sight base - bayonet mechanism". There are however only three bayonet mechanism, as was correctly observed before.
Yours,
Carcano

1 - 1 of 1 Posts