Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I normally shoot 4895 in my M1 but it's as rare as hen's teeth at this point. However, my local place got in a shipment of Varget. From what I can tell from the Hogdon on-line data the pressure and velocity are about the same for equal amounts of IMR 4895 and Varget. The burn rate chart shows Varget slightly faster than 4895 but not much. Plenty of load data for .30-06, .303, 8mm etc, but is it Garand friendly? Does anybody have a pet load using Varget and 150-155 gr bullets coming out a Garand?

Thanks!

·
Registered
19,307 Posts
CMP Reloading Board will get you some feedback on Garand Varget loads to work with.

Regret to inform, all my Garand loads are with 4895 and none with Varget. That won't change
as both powders are extinct in my area of Virginia .

4064 seems to be available (another Garand powder) so that will be my focus for Garand loads .

I am now at that point: I shoot what powder that I find....its not a satisfactory situation but its the
Hope and Change reality of the market.

·
Banned
1,312 Posts
until it became unfindable around here i used a lot of varget in my garand with data from hornady manual he is speaking of , also used the varget in my .308s from the same book and its .308 service rifle loads
, but have not seen varget around here in over a yr , i have been using the imr 4895 and ram shot big game ,pretty close to same and both work well in my garand with the hornady data. We get spotty powder for reloading around here its goes out quick as it hit shelves, you would have to be at cabelas at opening hour to find it if they have it everyday till they do was the answer i got when asking cabelas when will you get varget in , his reply you need to show up everyday till the truck does, it hits shelves its gone that day within hours.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I normally shoot 4895 in my M1 but it's as rare as hen's teeth at this point. However, my local place got in a shipment of Varget. From what I can tell from the Hogdon on-line data the pressure and velocity are about the same for equal amounts of IMR 4895 and Varget. The burn rate chart shows Varget slightly faster than 4895 but not much. Plenty of load data for .30-06, .303, 8mm etc, but is it Garand friendly? Does anybody have a pet load using Varget and 150-155 gr bullets coming out a Garand?

Thanks!
I do not have a 150gn load but the following load works well in CMP matches:
- HXP case
- WLR
- 46.5 Varget
- 168 SMK

Daniel39

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
I have recently been able to find 3031 locally fairly easily, and although it is pretty near one end of the range, 3031 is generally accepted to be 'within the range' of Garand-friendly powders. I have been using it recently and my three Garands are all still in one piece.

·
Banned
1,312 Posts
lot of people like to use the max load on the varget which gives you 2600 fps give or take a few deviations between rounds and that is the max load listed for varget he has listed above and 150 grainers in my hornady book,i never go max load unless i am shooting very long range , at 500 or less this varget load has been deadly accurate for me and shoots very flat with almost 0 recoil for a garand there fore more accurate to me .for the best results for me with 150 gran sp or fmj bullet is
44.2 gr of varget ,wlr primer, winchester brass or greek boxer brass,150 gr. sierra or hornady sp,gives me right at 2500 fps and change, and will almost keyhole the bullets at 100 yards with this load , very accurate and little recoil and will do anything i need it to , my max load for my garand is for the 168 gr bthp nosler
wlr primer
47.0 gr varget
nosler168 grain hpbt,
this is my fave load of all, enough to kill anything walking north american continent, deadly accurate, moves along at just over 2650fps, and very accurate out as far as you can shoot most times. these are straight out of hornadys garand load data with a tad of personel flavoring added.i know about the cci#34 primer thing but hornady says specifically to use wlr primers and no probs ever yet after 100s of reloads ran through it. i did get some win 748 i want to try in a few of my semi autos,
varget is impossible to get here and i have had an 8 lb jug on backorder for many months with midway and natchez, no powder yet , no varget anyhow.but the powders i mentioned above will all work , varget was just my fav win748, imr 4895-h 4895,ram shot big game,even imr 4064 is listed in my hornady data with real hvy bullets,but it would not run in my cetme build .308 and varget or either of the 4895 's will. always did. gonna try the win 748 out next month but think varget will always be my fave for semi autos if i ever see it again.for bolt-gun mil-surps that ram shot big game is hard to beat as well about same thing as varget but its gotten scarce as well.
Do any of you think powder will ever be readily available as it was before last big buy up scare ? it sure dont look that way to me , it seems there is a plan to do away with homegrown ammo and us reloaders the way reloading compononents have gotten so hard to get anymore powder and primers being number 1 hardest thing to find. bullets worth using not far behind. im thinking never again will we see shelves of powder and primers at any sports goods chain or mom &pops gun stores again like before 2012-13 buy up scare.just not happening around here .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts