Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this VIS 35 in a gun shop I frequent. Looks to be original finish, overall pretty good with reasonable wear. I’ve never seen one of these in person before and I was really unimpressed by the machining and overall quality given how well regarded these are. Regardless, it seems nice enough for what it is and they’re asking $889 for it. Gunbroker has them from the 6’s all the way up over $1000. It’s a cool looking gun and one I’d consider adding to the collection if the price was right but it’s not a pistol I was ever super crazy about so I’m not interested in over paying. It’s got some nice waffenamnt stamps if that matters. Also, is the number under the safety/decocker supposed to be different than the frame serial number? I initially just assumed It was a mismatch gun but the finish looks too even and too original for that to be the case so I thought I’d ask. Thanks guys!

Attachments

·
Registered
887 Posts
I can provide a longer answer later, but if I read the SN right, it is a "2nd F Block" meaning the 3rd lever is gone from production and it is in pretty great condition in my eyes. The pre war guns are much "prettier" to some but I personally like the wartime guns like this. It is far from "last ditch" but you can see the shortcuts being made in a sense of urgency. I'd say it's a good price, not a steal, but good.

Here is a good video.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is excellent, thank you. I’ll take a look, I’m curious about the changes now that I know there were multiple variations. Any idea about the number above the decocker/safety?

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
The number hidden by the safety lever was an inventory number, and should not match the serial number.

The Radoms were made in Poland, largely by Poles and by slave labor. The Germans had a big problem with parts being smuggled out of the factory and then being assembled and used by resistance fighters.

The inventory number was used to keep track of the slides before they were mated up with frames and received a serial number. By tracking the inventory numbers the Germans could get a pretty good idea of where the 'leaks' were in the factory.

·
Registered
187 Posts
In my opinion It isn't a "steal", but a decent deal compared to today's market on GunBroker. As the war progressed, production in the factories started cutting corners and placing less focus on the finish of these pistols, as referenced by the rough machining marks on it and the elimination of the takedown lever (functionality combined with the de-cocker). The most beautiful ones are the pre-war ones with the Polish eagle. Each one I have seen is a masterpiece, and commands a significant price. Even the early ones produced under German occupation (will have a slot cut in the grip for a shoulder stock) will be quite a looker.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So from what I’m seeing it looks like it’s priced fairly. Not a steal, not a rip off. Hmmm, maybe I’ll make an offer then and see what they say. They’ve made some deals in the past for me so we’ll see.

·
Premium Member
2,324 Posts
That is a nice gun for a steal, schoolbd. Hope you also bought a few lottery tickets since it was your day to shine. Does not happen often and should not taint previous valuations. Great pick up.
John

·
Registered
187 Posts
For comparison's sake, I picked up a 3-lever Radom in similar overall condition to the one OP posted for $600 in 2016. I haven't seen them for under $900 on GB, but I know the popularity of these has gone up a lot recently.

·
Silver Bullet Member
606 Posts
Picked up this second A block about 10 years ago with two mags for $300. Suitable for cross channel artillery.😀

·
50,141 Posts
Was at my local FFL back in 2007, he was busy and while I was waiting an older gentleman was at the counter with a Radom. I asked to look at it. It was a 2 lever in the D prefix range brown grips. I would rate around 95% finish, bore in excellent shape but right front top portion of the grip had a decent chunk out of it. Said it was his uncles bring back.

He asked if I would give him $300 for it. I told him it was worth $400 or so cause the grip was bad and grip replacements would run about $100.

I told him to talk to Billy, the FFL, and he could put it on auction and if he could not sell it for at least $400 to have Billy give me a call.

The guy also told me he had sold a German Dagger and a German parachutists knife, I assumed it was a gravity knife, for the princely sum of $400 for both. I didn’t have the heart to tell him he prolly cuda got way more.

4 months go by and I get a call from the FFL wanting to know if I remembered the guy with the Radom and he wanted to know if I was interested in buying the Radom for $275 out the door.

I said it was worth more than that and he said "Ya I told him too but that’s what he wants for it and he didn't want to put it on auction. He just wanted to get rid of it"

What could I do but say “I’ll take it”. Found original replacement grips for $79 and sold the busted ones 6 years later for $58.

Same year a few months later I checked in one day with the same FFL and he had just taken in a Walter PP a guy found in a wall of a house he bought and was renovating.
It turned out to be a mismatched end of war cigarette put together in excellent shape OTD for $225 the same day.

·
50,141 Posts
Had some Jay Scott grips on it while looking for original replacements so I could shoot it. Sold the JS grips when I got replacements.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I put in an offer. We’ll see what they say. It’s a lower offer than what they likely want but seems fair given how much interest I have in the gun and what I’m seeing here. I’ll keep you guys posted if they say yes and post some pictures up if she comes home with me.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts