Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Much to my peril, I came across a GEW 98 today at my local gun shop.

It is marked Danzig 1918. The receiver has been blued, and it has the later type rear sight on it. The Barrel and receiver S/N match. The other hardware appears to not match. I don't know about the bolt SN. Didn't look.The bore looks good, the action is very smooth. The floorplate looks pretty rough, a filed finish. Not terrible, but not a nice finish. maybe a later re-placement?

The stock looks good, doesn't appear re finished, several normal dings. It does have a crack developing in the wrist, starting from the rear action screw. It has the disassembly style stock disc.

It is a nice handy rifle, and I have tons of ammo and no gun to shoot it in right now.

At 239.95, how is the price?

As far as potential restoration, I could handle polishing and touching up the receiver markings, but what about the price and availability of a correct rear sight? better to leave as is?

Thanks! ( I think! ;) )

Take care,

Tom

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,325 Posts
I think Gew 98's with the later 98K style rear sight are a little harder to find than the standard Lange sight ones.Sounds like one that came out of Spain after the Civil war.Does it have an S-42 on sight base near woodline?.With blued receiver and later updated sight I would leave it alone.It is a legit Gew variation.I have seen all prices of these Gew 98a or 98M from 180 to 350,depending on stock proofs and what matches.The price seems a little high for me but these rifles dont seem to show up like they did 15 years ago.You could see if you can get it out the door for 200.00 Just my .02 worth.Danzig is my favorite arsenal.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes, forgot to mention it, it does have the S 42 above the woodline.

Thanks for the input. I can try, but this is a consignment, so the price is normally fixed.

Thanks for the input,

Tom

·
Registered
347 Posts
If I do get it, and leave it as is, it would be proper to fix the stock, right?
Be careful about "fixing". If the stock is a mismatch to the rifle and is in tough shape, you might consider stabilizing the crack, but if you've never done a repair like that, I'd find someone to help or at least give you some pointers. If the stock matches, I'd leave it and find a replacement "shooter" stock to use when you bring it to the range.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,853 Posts
gew

are you kidding? buy it. i've not seen any GEW-98 under $300 in any kind of decent shape and $400+ is more the norm. don't "fix" it or do anything other than clean it well. these guns are mostly MM and replacing a damaged floor plate wouldn't hurt the value at all IMHO. if you get it and don't like it,i and several others here would gladly take it off your hands.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys.

I have friends who do stock work for a living, so they could help.

I'll check and see if it matches. Still thinking about it.

Take care,

Tom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts