Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering a very late, 28th series, 932XXSN, T 38 rifle in near pristine condition. 99% blue. All correct, everything matches including all the bolt parts and the bolt cover. Mum is ground. There are tiny amounts of freckling here and there. Wood very good with strong cartouches. The gun obviously never left the arsenal.

What's this thing worth? Is $600 too high?

·
Registered
477 Posts
If I had that T-38 in one hand and a spare $600 in the other, I would own the T-38. At the rate of increase on Japanese rifles these days, it will be worth more very soon.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Try to haggle down the price, but if you want it, its your money, I would buy a 28th series but I dont know if I would pay 600 for it(not saying I wouldnt, just saying I am not sure).

·
Silver Bullet member
15,572 Posts
Let's see, late series, matching DC, steep price, but they quit making them some 70 years ago; yep, buy it.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,008 Posts
With that high number does it have the rounded peep sight like the 29th series or does it still have the trapazoid shaped sight. I have one 28th #365.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
At that price, ground, Id pass,probably it would depend on the individual rifle and its features (how much it "spoke" to me)...As a friend of mine says: "you dont pay too much, you just buy them too soon"..if its worth $600 to you then its a good deal,I Just think its too high for a 28th series ,in that description.Im split about 60/40 on that.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,323 Posts
$350-$400 would be a good deal in condition described. BUT, they aren't making any more. Price is a factor of condition and rarity. In high condition like this is described, it will increase in value nicely over time while a clunker will always be a clunker.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I always buy and say, could I get the price I paid, or even more. Unfortunately, you will not receive as much as you will pay in this instance for a ground T38.

Even though they are usually better made, used more in WW2, more accurate, and usually better looking, T38's do no reach T99 level of value.

The only one's that I have sold for a comparable price are the T38's mummed with matching covers or carbines.

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
O3man and I looked at a NICE 99 at the Charlotte show, matching, pod, rod, AA wings, exc wood, ground. Price was $325-$350, don't remember. Worth it in parts value alone, but neither of us "needed" it. Think "need" is a big factor, is it "needed" to fill a slot in your collection, will it be the only 38 you have, or will it be just another nice 38 for your accumulation of Arisakas? The price is steep, but only you can decide whether it is worth the money.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts