Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Looks like Bulgarian 8x50 to me. It is for the unconverted M95 rifles/carbines/stutzens and the other Austrian guns that would fire this rouns (M88/90, M90, etc.).

As to price. It depends. As a wag I'd say from $1 to $2 a round maybe, if it is all clean. Nick will have a better idea than I.

·
Administrator
12,270 Posts
This is a Bulgarian-made 8x50R (Patrone M.93 for the Mannlicher rifles). Could you show the label of the box? It should say "For machine gun and rifle".

·
Administrator
12,270 Posts
It says "Ball cartridges for machine gun", but simply because they are not on clips, there is no difference in loading.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Any thoughts on what the rounds are worth?
corrosive berdan primers in unknown storage condition ammo for a caliber most of the small number of guns made for were converted to 8x56r?
to an owner of a Steyr in this caliber, good value, if they do not handload.
to a handloader who can get boxer primed 7.62X54r brass and convert it, less than nothing.

·
Administrator
12,270 Posts

·
Administrator
10,117 Posts
Berdan Primer , 5,0mm ( Roth) .199", Corrosive. Cases very good brass, can be driller to Large Rifle ( already a central Roth Flash hole) using a #4 Drill ( .209) and a #4 drill converted into an endmill be regrinding the point. The Flash hole can be drilled with a 1/16" or 3/64" Drill, the pilot Berdan hole is already there.

Case will of course need annealing before reloading.

I have done this change of Primer to 8x50R (Czech and Bulgarian) to 6,5x53R Dutch, and to 6,5x54MS ( Greek) works very well, about 5 to 10 reloads depending on the original condition of the Brass. The Czech 8x50 goes over 10 reloads.

Not so good on 6,5 Italian (where I learnt the technique from Nonte's Book.) as there are twin flash-holes, which weaken the Web when re-drilled.)

Too bad 5.0mm RWS primers are Un-obtainium in the USA... Otherwise reloading wqould be a Peach ( central small pin decap by hand, and the simple repriming...)

Doc AV

·
Registered
313 Posts
Berdan Primer , 5,0mm ( Roth) .199", Corrosive. Cases very good brass, can be driller to Large Rifle ( already a central Roth Flash hole) using a #4 Drill ( .209) and a #4 drill converted into an endmill be regrinding the point. The Flash hole can be drilled with a 1/16" or 3/64" Drill, the pilot Berdan hole is already there.

Case will of course need annealing before reloading.

Doc AV
remember to note that corrosive primed cases should not be fired, rather pulled and de-primed mechanically before conversion. once shot with corrosive priming the damage to brass begins and is irreversible.

·
Super Moderator
Field Editor ~ GUNS Magazine, Co-Author ~ Serbian Army Weapons of Victory &PH - Kudu Safaris
11,478 Posts
Hello Gents,

I have somewhere north of 500 rounds of this ammo. However, I have no desire to shoot any of it.

I plan on including two en-bloc clips of these cartridges for display to go with my 8x50mmR chambered Austro-Hungarian and Bulgarian rifles when I eventually sell them. The next owner will profit more from display rather than actually shooting this hard to find original 8x50mmR ammo.

With Prvi loading this ammunition and with readily available dies, it's better to roll your own rather than shooting up what will eventually be collectors ammo.

Just my own opinion based on how rarely this ammo turns up these days.

Nice find!

Warmest regards,

JPS

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
With Prvi loading this ammunition
They are? I know they make 8x56r cases that can be shortened to 8x50r but I hadn't heard they had started making loaded 8x50r rounds. That would be good news if they are.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.