Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello everyone, what would be the value of this Kokura T97? Mismatched bolt and floor plate. Mum is ground. Thanks for looking.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,118 Posts
Not really up on values on this but I’ve never seen a pistol lanyard used as a sling before

Reactions: STRIKING 9th

·
Administrator
7,704 Posts
Hard to say, I picked my Numbers matching Kokura here on the Boards about 2 years ago for about $1100.
Is that even a sniper bolt? , It appears to be a regular bolt which will really hurts its value.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hard to say, I picked my Numbers matching Kokura here on the Boards about 2 years ago for about $1100.
Is that even a sniper bolt? , It appears to be a regular bolt which will really hurts its value.
Yea, my post should have read incorrect bolt. I follow the values on matching mummed examples. This one has an incorrect regular straight bolt. Hard to say what it's worth I guess. The lanyard has had the leather removed or it fell off. Thanks for the replies guys.

·
Gold Bullet member
13,840 Posts
You stole it IMO. They made 8000 for goods sake. So a 43 Izhevsk PU refurb sales for $1100, they made tens of thousands. A purpose made sniper from Japan is $1100. People who sale in this price range have no grasp on values. Crazy. Hope Rob gets it.. Replica bolts can be had from Don S.. It is not a fatal inperfection. Just wait a few years for what the mismatched bolt guns sale for. Again, what do the Russian, the cheapest refurb snipers sale for and what are the numbers?

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
You stole it IMO. They made 8000 for goods sake. So a 43 Izhevsk PU refurb sales for $1100, they made tens of thousands. A purpose made sniper from Japan is $1100. People who sale in this price range have no grasp on values. Crazy. Hope Rob gets it.. Replica bolts can be had from Don S.. It is not a fatal inperfection. Just wait a few years for what the mismatched bolt guns sale for. Again, what do the Russian, the cheapest refurb snipers sale for and what are the numbers?
In my honest opinion, Japanese sniper rifles are seriously underpriced. Based on the quantities made, even with spike in prices on GB, Japanese Snipers prices make no sense. But it's not always about the "logic".
Few factors contributing to it. Japan propaganda ministry was horrible at it's job vs Germans or Soviets - they literally made heroes from their snipers. With Japan, you can't even dig out handful of authentic sniper in action pictures from the war...so, there is no cool stories, no Vasily Zaitsev, no Matthäus Hetzenauer or etc. Also, ammo for German or Russian rifles is much more common than for Japanese rifles... not many people is shooting them. Now, zeroing Japanese scopes is a nice adventure and not everyone has a stomach to do this...finally, people don't know or not willing to clean debris often flying inside those scopes...so yes, Russian or German rifles have much more going for them.
But it's not necessary a bad thing. That still leaves the room for people to snatch those beautiful Japanese rifles at rather affordable prices... ;)

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
In my honest opinion, Japanese sniper rifles are seriously underpriced. Based on the quantities made, even with spike in prices on GB, Japanese Snipers prices make no sense. But it's not always about the "logic".
Few factors contributing to it. Japan propaganda ministry was horrible at it's job vs Germans or Soviets - they literally made heroes from their snipers. With Japan, you can't even dig out handful of authentic sniper in action pictures from the war...so, there is no cool stories, no Vasily Zaitsev, no Matthäus Hetzenauer or etc. Also, ammo for German or Russian rifles is much more common than for Japanese rifles... not many people is shooting them. Now, zeroing Japanese scopes is a nice adventure and not everyone has a stomach to do this...finally, people don't know or not willing to clean debris often flying inside those scopes...so yes, Russian or German rifles have much more going for them.
But it's not necessary a bad thing. That still leaves the room for people to snatch those beautiful Japanese rifles at rather affordable prices... ;)

Ski, as to individual Japanese snipers/soldiers they simply had a different 'Samuraii' attitude. There were no Japanese 'Valor' awards similar to western military devices...they had what they called honor/valor awards but they were really almost campaign devices.
Not honorable to be singled out in that manner and all soldiers were expected to fight to the death so that was almost a superfluous deal.
Secondly there was no real reason to propagandize the home front in that manner, all propaganda was simply how monstrous and cruel and uncivilized westerner's US/Brits were.... there was no issue with whipping up the home front they too were on board.
More lives, both Japanese and US, were saved by the 2 nukes than if they had not been used.
All above simply imo.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
Ski, as to individual Japanese snipers/soldiers they simply had a different 'Samuraii' attitude. There were no Japanese 'Valor' awards similar to western military devices...they had what they called honor/valor awards but they were really almost campaign devices.
Not honorable to be singled out in that manner and all soldiers were expected to fight to the death so that was almost a superfluous deal.
Secondly there was no real reason to propagandize the home front in that manner, all propaganda was simply how monstrous and cruel and uncivilized westerner's US/Brits were.... there was no issue with whipping up the home front they too were on board.
More lives, both Japanese and US, were saved by the 2 nukes than if they had not been used.
All above simply imo.
Oh, i understand what you saying, i'm just listing reasons why those Japanese Sniper rifles were never "hot items" IMO. Like it or not, that propaganda from WWII used by Germans and Soviets pays off to this day as far as collectors market. People love stories and both, Germans and Soviets delivered plenty of stories, books, pictures and etc...helps hobby to keep going and growing.

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
Oh, i understand what you saying, i'm just listing reasons why those Japanese Sniper rifles were never "hot items" IMO. Like it or not, that propaganda from WWII used by Germans and Soviets pays off to this day as far as collectors market. People love stories and both, Germans and Soviets delivered plenty of stories, books, pictures and etc...helps hobby to keep going and growing.

True, and a lot of it is propaganda....made up for the viewing audience. It is almost impossible to separate fact from fiction. (except for L. Pavlichenko she was a total fabrication that lives large to this day).

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,883 Posts
The japanese definitely did some propaganda from their soldiers. IE "The contest to cut off 100 heads with swords"
But not much on snipers. Also I wonder with the type of fighting the japanese did, if they didn't have much chance for snipers to get a lot of kills. Not nearly as much static defense lines like Stalingrad or Finland.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Anyone have any idea of how many Japanese sniper rifles might be in the US? In over 45 years of collecting, I have ever only seen one, and I bought it. Saw lots of regular Arisakas were being sold over the years as "sniper" rifles. Most with ground mums.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
It doesn’t help their value that shooting them will someone’s screw up the optics. You take a mint gun to the range, and come back with one that has paint chips all over the lenses internally. That doesn’t do much for the casual collector and/or shooter.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
It doesn’t help their value that shooting them will someone’s screw up the optics. You take a mint gun to the range, and come back with one that has paint chips all over the lenses internally. That doesn’t do much for the casual collector and/or shooter.
Those chips are easy to clean and once dealt with it, they don't comeback...;)

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Those chips are easy to clean and once dealt with it, they don't comeback...;)
That the damage can be cleaned up easily isn’t a ringing endorsement of the scope, nor does it prevent more paint from flaking off if you decide to shoot it again.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Anyone have any idea of how many Japanese sniper rifles might be in the US? In over 45 years of collecting, I have ever only seen one, and I bought it. Saw lots of regular Arisakas were being sold over the years as "sniper" rifles. Most with ground mums.
Around the year 2000 I bought 3 Japanese rifle collections. In the three, there were 16 snipers, with scopes, cases and brushes. Most had mums, all were type 99 except for one type 97. I paid $1000 ea. on the snipers, and sold all but one for $1250 ea. in about 6 months or so. I kept the 97 a little longer but parted with that for a little more. About 3 months after I sold the 97, prices jumped about100%, my timing on buying was great, my timing to sell left much to be desired. Don't even ask about the Paratroopers and Type 44's.

·
Registered
469 Posts
With almost 40 years of research by members of Banzai who continue to compiled serial numbers of snipers and scopes that they've owned or were seen at gun shows, on the internet etc,...this information has been cataloged by Victor Soto, and with the help of Frank Allan, they wrote Banzai Special Project #17, "Japanese Snipers Rifles of the Second World War".

Type 97 sniper rifles known to exist is 700 +/-
Type 99 sniper rifles known to exist is 600 +/-

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
That the damage can be cleaned up easily isn’t a ringing endorsement of the scope, nor does it prevent more paint from flaking off if you decide to shoot it again.
I'm shooting them frequently and did not notice new flaking yet. I know, I know, sample of 1. But @reiver1 did the same thing now so we can see how his rifle scope will behave.

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
True....but once the paint is gone there should be no issue and you can give the lens a nice cleaning....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts