Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this to the BP cartridge rifle forum as well. I found a VG all matching, unmessed-with M71 with an excellent bore, but the shop wants $800 for it. What's the going rate these days for a completely matching M71? I know there are a lot of variables, but a ballpark is fine...
Thanks,
Mike

· Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords
3,456 Posts
Mike,
The last M71 I saw sell at auction, which was NRA VG, went for about $1300. I assume, since you said that it is unmessed with, you are aware that NRA VG means that it has a high level of bluing, and that M71 barrels were originally blued? In my experience, 99.9% of M71's I see have had all their barrel bluing removed or worn off. If the bluing is correct, original and 90%, and the stock cartouches are present and crisp, the $800 retail price tag is low...especially if it is unit marked on its buttplate tang.

If the piece is in the white, it's value is lower.
Reards,
John

3,456 Posts
Memory issues again! I'll never learn!:) Well, I got the wrong color but the right process. In the past 2 years, I have seen three M71's with blued barrels which had seen very little use. Would those have been reblued rifles?
Regards,
John

1,707 Posts
6 IG 71s - browned
4 Kar 71s - browned
1 JB 71 - browned (Mauser)
1 JB 71 - blued (Danzig)

2 Kar 73 (Saxon) - browned
2 Kar 73 (Prussian) - browned

Variation by manufacturer and/or date of manufacture? We need specific data: maker, date of manufacture, barrel and bands finish.

\

· Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
John et al.: Thanks for the information. Per the NRA antique ratings the one I saw would definitely rate "fine". I think I will go for it, In the last few years I cannot recall seeing one better. It's only money... :-( gonna have to cull the herd...
Best,
Mike

NRA ANTIQUE FIREARM CONDITIONS STANDARDS:
FACTORY NEW: All original parts; 100% original finish; in perfect condition in every respect, inside and out.
EXCELLENT: All original parts; over 80% original finish; sharp lettering, numerals and design on metal and wood; unmarred wood; fine bore.
FINE: All original parts; over 30% original finish; sharp lettering, numerals and design on metal and wood; minor marks in wood; good bore.
VERY GOOD: All original parts; none to 30% original finish; original metal surfaces smooth with all edges sharp; clear lettering, numerals and design on metal; wood slightly scratched or bruised; bore disregarded for collectors firearms.
GOOD: Some minor replacement parts; metal smoothly rusted or lightly pitted in places, cleaned or re-blued; principal letters, numerals and design on metal legible; wood refinished, scratched bruised or minor cracks repaired; in good working order.
FAIR: Some major parts replaced; minor replacement parts may be required; metal rusted, may be lightly pitted all over, vigorously cleaned or re-blued; rounded edges of metal and wood; principal lettering, numerals and design on metal partly obliterated; wood scratched, bruised, cracked or repaired where broken; in fair working order or can be easily repaired and placed in working order.

· Diamond Bullet Member
1,968 Posts
6 IG 71s - browned
4 Kar 71s - browned
1 JB 71 - browned (Mauser)
1 JB 71 - blued (Danzig)

2 Kar 73 (Saxon) - browned
2 Kar 73 (Prussian) - browned

Variation by manufacturer and/or date of manufacture? We need specific data: maker, date of manufacture, barrel and bands finish.

\

For those of us that have to live vicariously through others; any chance we could see some pics?

The Mauser JG 71 would be a great place to start.

· Registered
811 Posts
JG71 Mauser

I r jealous.

· Registered
811 Posts
It's not mine unfortunately. I pulled the pic of the internet.

http://www.angelfire.com/vt/milsurp/index.html

It and the page belong to a Jean Plam. The Jaeger is an Erfurt. I'd LOVE to have that rifle. Immaculate shape.

From the website pics, the unit markings are 11.J.L.2.71

· Registered
811 Posts
Duh. I looked right at the pics and then posted, somehow forgetting in between. Talk about bad memory.

WaPruf, what's your source(s)?

· Banned
729 Posts
Since this is a M71 value thread, I figured I'd ask this here. I saw an Oberndorf M71 at a show today, largely matching but for a few screws, unsanded wood, with some slight pimp-shining of the receiver. Had a large Chinese looking brand on the left side of the butt. Would this have been a good buy at $400? Are Oberndorf 71's scarce?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.