Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What would the value of a GEW98 "war bond" rifle be? Shape is probabally poor.(Rust and pitting)It has the rod welded down the bore. I am able to probablly work out a trade for one but have no idea what might be a fair deal.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Seems to me it would depend on mfg/date and what is original? Much the same as any Gewehr98? I mean there is the question of restoring it to shooting.. some want this others prefer to leave it as history claimed it but value could hinge on this for certain collectors.
There is novelty to these rifles and that is appealing but in the end it really comes down to mfg/date & condition as it is with every rifle.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reciever marked Deutchwaffen-und Munitiunsfabriken Berlin

I would not want to restore it. Numbers match,Condition is a little rough. I want it bascially for what it is,a piece of WW1 history with a odd story.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I think very likely more than $100, probably several times that.. (stocks alone I have sold for a whopping $300, not even unit marked- of course this is unusual, but minimally any decent stock is worth $150-200) especially if totally matching as most seem to not be totally matching. I assume the bolt face is ground down? Pretty common mfg/date but these are desirable to many simply as a novelty.

I'd say the value depending on your definition of "a little rough" is $250-350, perhaps more if truly all matching. If ground face bolt and m/m $200 or so.. hell a legit decent rod is worth $40 all day long!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts