Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to ship my Arisaka Paratrooper off to James Julia Auctions for their spring auction. Thought I would check here for opinions on their service before actually sending it off.

I sent pictures of the rifle to a Julia Rep and she responded indicating that they thought it would sell in the range of $4-6,000. I heard about a local shop that bought and sold antique firearms, so took it there, the proprietor pulled out his book, which showed Excellent condition (which he seemed to think my rifle was) was shown as $2500. When I mentioned that Julia had said $4-6K, he was surprised, but asked a collector who happened to be in the shop, the collector said that the book was wrong on the paratroopers, and that since I had a matching numbers rifle with the Imperial "Mum" still intact, that it could well do $4-6000. The shop owner made a call to someone else,....and I think I heard the party on the other end, who was speaking loudly, say that they could do $6-8,000 for a nice matching numbers example.

Anyone who is well informed about the Arisaka Paratrooper and/or James Julia Auctions that can give me some feedback?

Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
2,142 Posts
i think the $4000 to $6000 is very high and very hopeful. the $6000 to $8000 range is unreal at best. for a common T-2 paratrooper rifle, you are better off putting it on gun broker and selling it yourself. Julia is going to drag you through the mud with outrageous fees and a fairly long wait time to get your realized value. gun broker is your better bet here and even though it may SELL for a little less than a Julia auction, you will more than likely receive the same amount or more by selling on gun broker.

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
I think realistically if it's super nice 4K-4.5K would be tops. sell it yourself and forget the long wait and 20% auction fees. Put a resevrve on it that you can live with.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,720 Posts
It is impossible to say what your rifle is worth at auction, it only takes two nuts with lots of money to get a ridiculous(to us) price.

Choose your venue and take your chances; and good luck.

·
Silver Bullet member
605 Posts
I know of two, excellent with mum and all matching including dust cover that sold for $3000. Not too long ago someone had one for sale like this on the boards, if I remember it sold after being on for awhile for alitte under $3000???

·
Registered
822 Posts
I'm not sure on value, but Julia does put on a good show and get very good prices for their guns. Their customer service on the buyer end is excellent; I have not sold through them. They did have a no commision policy for sellers on higher end guns (I don't remember what the cut-off was.) I think the real question is what reserve they want you to put on it. If it fails to sell you can always sell it elsewhere.

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
mutt, you purchased an outstanding, A+condition Type 2 for a very fair price, quit whining, but if you did you'd dry up and blow away! If you think you underpaid you have my address, your personal check or cash will do. Ronan

·
Gold Bullet member
14,167 Posts
Great rifle Rob. It would take a mighty minty one, like 98% plus and totally right, before I would think of anything over $3000 and over $4000 just would not happen. That is just one opinion and the one that counts is the one where the money if fixing to be let loose. Anything is possible and it will be interesting to see what happens. Please keep us informed.

There was a nice matching one at a show I will be attending tomorrow for sale about a year ago. It was complete and right but about 85% condition. Asking was $2000. I thought it too high and went back late in the day to try $1500. Someone had sprung it in the $1800-1900 range, never determined which.

·
Platinum Bullet member
7,035 Posts
Just back in December, there was a thread discussing one that sold for over 4K on GB, and another that went for nearly 6K, on another auction site. An aluminum handle NCO sword, sold for over 2K recently. People see this, and think things are worth that much. Nowadays, anything is possible. (Just not when I'm the seller)

·
Gold Bullet member
3,255 Posts
I agree that the estimate is way over normal. Having worked at an auction house (not Julia's) I'd like to warn you that some appraisers have a tendency to promise high in order to hook you in. Even if it does sell high, there are a lot of hidden fees (e.g. will they be charging you a photography fee) and commissions that will add up and eat into your profit. I'd stick with Gunbroker, especially if you have a C&R already.

·
Registered
333 Posts
There was a beautiful mummed and all-matching, including the dust cover, T-2 for sale at an Ohio Gun Collectors Show last Spring. This one had an original short para. bayonet with scabbard included. Asking price was $7,000. I didn't see anyone hurrying to buy it....

·
Silver Bullet member
15,720 Posts
There was a beautiful mummed and all-matching, including the dust cover, T-2 for sale at an Ohio Gun Collectors Show last Spring. This one had an original short para. bayonet with scabbard included. Asking price was $7,000. I didn't see anyone hurrying to buy it....
And the bayonet would be $1500 or so by itself.

·
Gold Bullet member
844 Posts
Just back in December, there was a thread discussing one that sold for over 4K on GB, and another that went for nearly 6K, on another auction site. An aluminum handle NCO sword, sold for over 2K recently. People see this, and think things are worth that much. Nowadays, anything is possible. (Just not when I'm the seller)
Yup! Imagine what the prices would be like if the economy was in good shape. But wait, money appears to be no object; so, is the economy really that bad, or is is that we've become a nation of whiners?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Yup! Imagine what the prices would be like if the economy was in good shape. But wait, money appears to be no object; so, is the economy really that bad, or is is that we've become a nation of whiners?
They say it really wasn’t that bad back during the depression, so long as you had a job. Kind of like that now, many people are in bad shape, but not everyone.

An auction is its own environment; prices realized depend on who turns up and what they are willing to spend. If you have two bidders with more money than sense that get into a fight over an item prices can get very crazy.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Keep in mind that if you put a reserve on the price and it doesn't sell, Julia will assess you 10% of that vlaue as their charge for service. Service includes pictures, write-up, return packing and shipping, etc, so you do get something for the money. Julia's seller's fee is 15% which isn't too bad for low value items, and buyer willl pay 15%. I haven't checked their latest fees but they are offering some lower fees currently due to the economy, etc.
they pay quickly on title I firearms in my experience. I also have used them for MG auctions which invovles more paperwork, etc, but they do pay quickly.
Often, Julia, like other auction houses, will put a low estimated value on the item and then when it sells for a lot more they can claim that their prestige and superior service account for the higher hammer price than estimated. Just a promotiional trick that most houses use to make themselves look good.
If you list with Julia, post that you have done this to every possible internet site and all collectors that you canr each easily which will help spread the word and mve them to the auction. Another bit of advice, call and ask for a copy of the listing to make sure that they list the weapon ID correctly and fully and the conditiion correctly with any anomalies. Their photographs are top notch.

Bob Naess
Black River Militaria CII

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the input everybody and thanks for the insight on Julia Bob.

Keep in mind that if you put a reserve on the price and it doesn't sell, Julia will assess you 10% of that vlaue as their charge for service. Service includes pictures, write-up, return packing and shipping, etc, so you do get something for the money. Julia's seller's fee is 15% which isn't too bad for low value items, and buyer willl pay 15%. I haven't checked their latest fees but they are offering some lower fees currently due to the economy, etc.
they pay quickly on title I firearms in my experience. I also have used them for MG auctions which invovles more paperwork, etc, but they do pay quickly.
Often, Julia, like other auction houses, will put a low estimated value on the item and then when it sells for a lot more they can claim that their prestige and superior service account for the higher hammer price than estimated. Just a promotiional trick that most houses use to make themselves look good.
If you list with Julia, post that you have done this to every possible internet site and all collectors that you canr each easily which will help spread the word and mve them to the auction. Another bit of advice, call and ask for a copy of the listing to make sure that they list the weapon ID correctly and fully and the conditiion correctly with any anomalies. Their photographs are top notch.

Bob Naess
Black River Militaria CII

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.