Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellas. I'm on vacation in Utah and stopped in an antique store yesterday. The guy has a WW2 1st Class Iron Cross(hinged back) in the box, inscribed to a SA officer from a panzer grenadier? division. Any ideas on what something like this is worth? I have a lot of German Militaria but have always been really wary of medals. This one is definitely real. Any help would be appreciated!!! Best Wishes, BB

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
SA? You mean an SS Offizier? Where (& what) is it inscribed - on the back or on the box? Is it maker marked - both the box & the medal? It is very unusual/rare to find a WW 2 IC 1 with a name on the back, but some do exist. It was much more likely in WW 1.
Since it is SS marked, I would hold it as suspect till I saw some good photos of both pieces.
Sarge

·
Gold Bullet member
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sarge, pretty sure it says Sturmabteilung, panzer grenadier?, his name & rank, and a WW2 date on it(inscribed on the back of the medal in cursive). Medals aren't my thing, but it looks real to me. The guy that has it, has a crazy amount of german paper documents and stuff you rarely ever see. This guy is about 90 years old and really doesn't strike me as being a BS'r or con artist. He wants $600 bucks for it. If it was cheaper, I would just buy it and take my chances. I've seen just about every german faked item out there, and this one doesn't strike me as being humped. I would take a pic, but don't think he would be into that....

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
That inscription wouldn't be SA, but rather assault section. It also wouldn't indicate an Offizier. What is the rank abreviation?
As I said, it could be good, but I'd have to see a photo before I'd say for sure.
I will say that $600 is just a tad high, by maby $350+. It would even be way high if he had the award doccument.
Sarge

·
Gold Bullet member
1,040 Posts
Iron Cross

Id say without detailed photos its about a 95 percent plus chance of being fake. In the eighties when I did shows Id carry a few reference books on fakes for screening off the copies. With todays fakes I carry
Black light
Digital Calipers
Digital Scale
Digital camera

Thats how good the fakes are getting, and when the wall came down they had access to original dies and such that werent available previously. If its original the values mentioned are in the ballpark which is all we can do at this point. But an SA presentation to a military recipient is strange all by itself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.