Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen,

I have an original lockplate for a Sharps New Model carbine/rifle. I have had this part for over 20 years and have used it as a paperweight. The lockplate has the C. Sharps Pat Oct 5th, 1853 and the R.S. Lawrence Pat April 12th, 1859. Outside finish is bare metal/patina with good color case hardning on the inside of the plate. There are a few dings in the metal but not many for a piece that is over 145 years old.

Overall this would rate a VG to Excellent in my book given what little I know about period Sharps long arms. I am trying to figure out what this would be worth to a collector. It is doing me no good besides being an excellent paperweight and conversation piece. Maybe someone out there could use it to restore an original Sharps.

Any ideas on value?

Thanks

·
Gold Bullet member
4,427 Posts
Stick it on gunbroker, I wouldn't be surprised if it brought over a grand. But without actually testing the market, you'll get lots of guesses and nothing certain.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Don't be disappointed, but there are TONS of Sharps carbines parts floating out there, i'm building one just from parts i bought off the net, as i couldn't afford an original, being on SSI Disability.Value 40-50 dollars, perhaps a little more.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts