Gunboards Forums banner

Value check ... Series 1 Nagoya

2K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  davef 
#1 ·
Interested in knowing ballpark collector value..

Series 1 Nagoya, mismatch bolt, intact mum, overall pretty nice, exc bore. Has the original sling that was on it when it came into the States. Not import marked, of course. I'd guess it came from an island where the bolts were pulled during transit.

Just curious as to a ballpark value. Thanks.

#5 ·
Yea, mismatched, missing AA wings and sanded stock takes the rifle value down to $125 to $150. But the sling adds $100 to $140, the original cleaning rod $40 and the original monopod spring another $30, and voila you have a $360 value rifle. Not exactly collector grade, but you can sell the mentioned parts and the remainder can still be used as a good shooter.

#7 · (Edited)
I can say that the stock (and rifle in general) is not messed with. It is not sanded, just in very good condition.

I'm not interested in selling or parting it out. The rifle is as it came back from the war, and I think it would be best to keep it together.

I appreciate the insight. Thanks.

#8 ·
#10 ·
What about the pictures makes it look like it was sanded? I'm interested in knowing how to tell. The finish looks very old and original to me, especially is the linseed oil finish theory is right.

#11 ·
The color is a bit odd, but the stock markings are usually the best way to tell if your finish is original. It takes very little sanding to make these marks disappear. Are they still present? Here's my first series & you can see the distinctiver wood color it has. Here's another shot of it with it's other Nagoya buddies.

#12 ·
Finish

The original finish would have been urushi, not linseed oil.

As for the sanding call, the finger grooves seem a little rounded; though it is hard to see in the pictures. The edges are sharp all the way around if original, not rounded over.

#13 ·
I think the color issue is mostly because I took the pictures outside and played with the image to try to show detail. I can tell from your pictures that it is very much like the color and finish on your Nagoyas.

The grooves are about as sharp as the one in your first series picture, as far as I can tell.

#15 ·
I know you are, but I don't have it back yet...

See, I sold this to a fellow member a couple years ago, and I'm buying it back. So all I have are the pictures I posted.

#21 ·
Josh, DON'T BUY A PISTOL! You'll shoot yourself in the eye. On second thought, maybe you should buy a pistol.

#23 ·
color looks a little off and the edges seem softend, however its tough to tell from those pictures. Could very well just be the lighting and photo quality.but a mummed, first series with a good sling and cleaning rod, even mismatched, must be a $250- 300 gun ,current auction trend value. I wouldnt give more than $150 for the gun,on a generous day, but like it was pointed out, add to that a $100-125+ sling, $40-50 cleaning rod, and mono spring and theres another $150-200 in extras.you can buy that package for $200-250 all the time, I have to start shopping in ohio (tho everyone knows every good arisaka in ohio is in the secret enclave of Noodle: "the collector formerly known as Nick the florist").

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.