Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the opportunity to buy a K43 at a local shop. It is missing front sight hood, cleaning rod, upper handguard, butt plate, and the magazine in messed up. Also, the stock has been sanded and the sling part has been filled in. The bore isnt in the greatest shape either, may clean better. I am trying to get an idea what might be a reasonable price to pay for this rifle or if it is more of a pain than its worth. Folks on this forum will know more than I about the ability to source the missing parts. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
322 Posts
IF everything is there and is in reasonable condition, the barreled receiver is worth about $1200....More if the bolt is included...Original butt plate will be very hard to replace, magazine and handguard will be around $200+ a piece to replace....Might take a while to find a proper front sight protector, any K98k rod will work....Stock w/o butt plate and handguard and sanded might be worth a couple hundred....Personally I think would pass, as it would be cost prohibitive and time consuming to put back together....If you can buy it for basically the cost of the barreled receiver and bolt, I believe you will be okay....Bodes

·
Registered
322 Posts
IF everything is there and is in reasonable condition, the barreled receiver is worth about $1200....More if the bolt is included...Original butt plate will be very hard to replace, magazine and handguard will be around $200+ a piece to replace....Might take a while to find a proper front sight protector, any K98k rod will work....Stock w/o butt plate and handguard and sanded might be worth a couple hundred....Personally I think would pass, as it would be cost prohibitive and time consuming to put back together....If you can buy it for basically the cost of the barreled receiver and bolt, I believe you will be okay....Bodes
I believe a standard K98k cupped butt plate will work, so that would be an easy fix....Buy a reproduction hand guard and front sight protector....Cleaning rod is an easy find....Buy it cheaply and you may have a great shooter, unless bore is worn out....Bodes

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have the opportunity to buy a K43 at a local shop. It is missing front sight hood, cleaning rod, upper handguard, butt plate, and the magazine in messed up. Also, the stock has been sanded and the sling part has been filled in. The bore isnt in the greatest shape either, may clean better. I am trying to get an idea what might be a reasonable price to pay for this rifle or if it is more of a pain than its worth. Folks on this forum will know more than I about the ability to source the missing parts. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance.
Depends on the price and condition outside of the sportization. Its never going to be a collector rifle again, but If it still has its gas system, bolt, etc. then it may make a good shooter. If you have or can get pictures I would post them. Things like stocks, sight hoods, etc can be sourced, but most likely will be repros. Vital components on the other hand, not so much. Also with sporters its a good idea to slug the chamber/bore, never know what bubba might have done to the barrel.....

Project guns take a certain level of dedication that most people don't have, so be aware of what you are getting into. The surface issues are usually the tip of the iceberg.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thankyou so much for the replies gentlemen. The rifle in question does have a matching bolt/recevier. The gas system is all there. The bore looks gross, but I need to run a brush thru it. I picked it up for $500. I figured if I didn't want to mess with it, someone would at least want the barreled receiver. Based on what I'm hearing, it might not be too bad a project unless the bore ends up being trashed. I'll post some pics tonight.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Thankyou so much for the replies gentlemen. The rifle in question does have a matching bolt/recevier. The gas system is all there. The bore looks gross, but I need to run a brush thru it. I picked it up for $500. I figured if I didn't want to mess with it, someone would at least want the barreled receiver. Based on what I'm hearing, it might not be too bad a project unless the bore ends up being trashed. I'll post some pics tonight.
Good luck with it. If you decide that its not a project that you want to take on, keep me in mind. I have a thing for bringing these old war horses back to life.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts