Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking of trying to pick up a Valmet M76 AK, something I have always wanted. they seem to go for quite a bit, are they worth it? Seems they hold their value as a few years ago you could find them in the $800-$900 range, now they are almost twice that.

· Registered
2,742 Posts
Try again! Go look at the prices in a 20 year old gun annual. Those Valmet AK-47 rifles were selling for $1500, when they weren't even banned in the 80s. If you can get a good one for that price after all of these damned restrictions - grab it ASAP...

· Registered
525 Posts
Try again! Go look at the prices in a 20 year old gun annual. Those Valmet AK-47 rifles were selling for $1500, when they weren't even banned in the 80s. If you can get a good one for that price after all of these damned restrictions - grab it ASAP...
I bought two of these Valmets, a consecutively numbered pair of MILLED-RECEIVER M62S's in 7.62X39mm, back in 1975. I paid $550.00 for both, plus six Valmet-made 30-rd mags (with the little square pull-swivel on the floorplates) and a case of Egyptian ammo (got a good deal from a dealer friend here in California). Had the Fiskars-brand Finnish Army bayonets and the correct green leather slings, as well. They were pretty exotic, at that time, and absolutely gorgeous, but I foolishly traded them off, around 1983 (for an H&K 91 with the .22 cal sub-caliber conversion kit.......seemed like a good idea then), when the ammo dried up, leaving Lapua, at over $1.00 a pop, as the only source. They were both the fixed, tubular stock model, with the early handguards w/round cooling holes, and the spirally-grooved pistol grips.
I'd give my right arm to have them back today!! IMHO, they are the absolute zenith of 7.62mm AK development, bar none!

· Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wow, $550!! I agree, from what I have seen they are the AK with all the features. I really like the layout of the sights and the way they look (the one with the tubular stock). I am going to have to save a bit and keep my eyes open for one that I can afford.

· Registered
525 Posts
Not $550 each, mind you, but $550 for BOTH, together with the case of ammo and the mags. The bayonets and slings I managed to procure later. At that time, NOBODY wanted these guns, but oh how they would turn heads at the range!! At that time no one had ever seen a black rifle like these. I would've kept them, but for the dearth of ammo available at that time. Once my case of Egyptian was gone, there was little sense in keeping them, NEVER dreaming that pallets of the stuff, and dirt cheap at that, would soon be hitting our shores.

· Registered
2,742 Posts
wow, $550!! I agree, from what I have seen they are the AK with all the features. I really like the layout of the sights and the way they look (the one with the tubular stock). I am going to have to save a bit and keep my eyes open for one that I can afford.
Prices went through the roof a few years later. Look up the prices in some of those GUN ANNUALS, if you don't believe it. There was even a M-70 sporter with a traditional stock instead of the AK-47 pistol grip. It had a custom commercial blued finish too.

Those Finnish AKs were the top of the line for sheer quality; but that goes for their bolt action SAKO hunting rifles too...

· Registered
2,137 Posts

I bought this Valmet M76 folding stock (.223 Rem) about this time last year. It cost me well under the $900 point mentioned above. If you look around this site you will see a write up I did of this piece. I bought this piece as a companion to the fixed stock Valmet M76 that I purchased in the 1980s that is also currently in my collection and as a reward for passing a tough, tough grad school class.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=18854&highlight=valmet+m76

· Registered
2,137 Posts
Oh, and to answer the question. Yes, these ARE worth the money. They have all the reliability of the M.T. Kalashnikov design but are also quite accurate, handy and well thought out for real life use. They favor the .55 grain projectile in .223 Rem caliber and that is fine with me.

· Registered
2,742 Posts
Oh, and to answer the question. Yes, these ARE worth the money. They have all the reliability of the M.T. Kalashnikov design but are also quite accurate, handy and well thought out for real life use. They favor the .55 grain projectile in .223 Rem caliber and that is fine with me.
Which is also why the M-76 variants were so popular with snipers during that civil war in Bosnia about 15 years ago. I can still hear one of those guys giving a reporter a dissertation about his Finnish made AK-47 on an old newscast...

· Registered
46 Posts
My shame, too

For years I have not wanted to talk about it, but since this topic was brought up I guess I'll share - I have owned two Valmet m/62 rifles. The first I bought in 1977 for $250 w/250 rounds of Lapua ammo & a 15 rd. & 30 rd. mag. I was 18 at the time and that was a fortune for me. I traded it later for I forget what. In 1982 I bought another one for $400, then traded it away a year later for a nice P-38. The unavailability of 7.62mm was the reason. I kick myself now. Anyway, the quality of those rifles puts every other AK to shame, including the Israeli rifles. If you ever get a chance to buy one, don't hesitate !!

· Platinum Bullet Member
9,160 Posts
While I am partial to eastern bloc firearms I will say the Finns made one of the finest kalashnikovs I ever played with ;) Fit and finish was darn near 100% . About like anything finnish.......... the took somehting soviet and perfected it :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.