Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've decided to build an Uzi! Not really a steal on building one of these over just buying one from Century, but I want as many original IMI parts as possible and I'll be building this on a Form 1 for my first SBR. Also, there's been question on the quality of the lower priced carbines coming out now.

Here's what I've got:

11.16.12 002.jpg 11.16.12 003.jpg 11.16.12 004.jpg . 11.16.12 005.jpg 11.16.12 006.jpg 11.16.12 001.jpg

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Which 922r parts are you gonna use? Where can you get a semi bolt? Are you gonna put the bayonet lug on?
As far as 922.....I'll be SBRing this one & aquired an original SMG barrel, so for now, I'm thinking (1) receiver-repair section from Global, (2) Semi Sear from D & D, (3) US barrel nut from D & D...not a done deal yet, but if my calculations are correct that should make it compliant.
I plan on buying a striker/FP assembly from uziparts.com and doing the bolt mods myself on my mini-mill. Going to send the bolt out to be annealled first just to be safe.

And yes, I'm keeping the bayonet lug. I'll find a bayonet after I make it go boom!

It will be awhile for me to finish this one, since I still have to send off my Form 1........think I'm going to wait until I get my repair section in first so I can lay out my markngs before filling/sending out the form.

Matt

·
Registered
132 Posts
This is going to be interesting! You are pioneering a project that so far, I have successfully resisted! I say "so far" because I can already feel my will power fading!! So, Matt, where did you get your parts kit, and how long ago did you purchase it? I was recently looking around for one, but only found solid wood or composite stocked variants. I like your game plan and I will follow this thread intently!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is going to be interesting! You are pioneering a project that so far, I have successfully resisted! I say "so far" because I can already feel my will power fading!! So, Matt, where did you get your parts kit, and how long ago did you purchase it? I was recently looking around for one, but only found solid wood or composite stocked variants. I like your game plan and I will follow this thread intently!:thumbsup:
Well, I just received my kit less than 2 weeks ago from Numrich. Pretty happy with it, only thing that's missing is the selector button (that was supposed be be with the kit). I sent them an email & hope to hear back on whether or not they will send me a replacement.
I may be setting up an NFA Trust before I SBR this one, so I'll probably be building this as a pistol - just because I'm impatient - and then add the stock once my Stamp comes in. There's also a gray area about 922r compliance on an SBR & whether or not the barrel nut counts. For a pistol, it dosn't matter, but I may fabricate a new US made trigger or buy a new set of handguards to be safe, since I'll be using an original IMI barrel.
I'm getting a little excited myself, just received my 10.2" IMI barrel yesterday and will be tracking down the rest of the small parts this week hopefully. It's a drag that I have to send out my bolt for annealling, but I'd rather be safe than to curse this thing for eating bits & endmills.

Matt

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Good luck with your build. I special ordered my class III Uzi from Vector with all IMI parts. They charged me a extra $150 but am happy I did, especially now 15 years later.

David Ben Uzi

·
Registered
975 Posts
Yea, good luck. Sounds like your OK with the parts count as far as 922 goes (plus you can keep a Tapco mag in it which will give you 3 more US parts). If you go with a pistol instead of an SBR, 922 is no longer an issue.

I only have two concerns in regards to NFA regulations that ATF may have an issue with.

1st - Does the ATF require a restrictor ring in the trunion to disuade installing an SMG barrel? Most of the semi auto Uzi receivers I have seen have been cursed with this.

2nd - Semi auto Uzi receivers must have a full auto bolt blocking tab on the right rear inside the receiver to disuade the use of the non-grooved FA bolt. So, unless your receiver repair section has one...you will have to plug or spot weld one into your existing rear receiver section.

Getting past all the BS (rules/regs) almost takes the fun out of rolling your own!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea, good luck. Sounds like your OK with the parts count as far as 922 goes (plus you can keep a Tapco mag in it which will give you 3 more US parts). If you go with a pistol instead of an SBR, 922 is no longer an issue.

I only have two concerns in regards to NFA regulations that ATF may have an issue with.

1st - Does the ATF require a restrictor ring in the trunion to disuade installing an SMG barrel? Most of the semi auto Uzi receivers I have seen have been cursed with this.

2nd - Semi auto Uzi receivers must have a full auto bolt blocking tab on the right rear inside the receiver to disuade the use of the non-grooved FA bolt. So, unless your receiver repair section has one...you will have to plug or spot weld one into your existing rear receiver section.

Getting past all the BS (rules/regs) almost takes the fun out of rolling your own!
I will be SBRing it before it's over, so I'm gonna follow 922r..........

#1 - The restrictor ring feedramp is not a regulation, more than likely, it's added for a secondary contact point for a longer carbine barrel. I plan on fabbing my own since most of the original guns had the feedramp incorporated in the sheetmetal of the receiver. The mods to the sear, bolt, grip stick, ensure you can't go full auto.

#2 Yes, there must be some device to keep you from installing a FA bolt. I will be welding a blocking bar (comes w/receiver repair section I'm looking at) and cutting a corrosponding slot in the bolt.

......Thanks David, I would love to have a class III, but I'm just a poor tinkering type. ;) Wish I was around & of age in the 70's, back when an average guy could own a FA & afford the ammo! lol

Matt

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A little update................Numrich came through and have shipped a replacement Selector/Change Lever Button. Great company to deal with. Just remember guys, when ordering kits and something that is supposed to be there is missing.........don't get pissed at the supplier, contact them. Most of them will send you a replacement for what's missing. They have warehouses of this stuff and it's easy to overlook something so small.
Now I get another package with a gun part in it. It will be like Christmas all over again. lol

Matt

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Using a MIG I picked up used on Craigslist...................it's only 85 amps, but works great on the sheetmetal receivers. I've even done milled AK and Thompson 1928a1 with it. I may upgrade one day, but finally getting used to it. :thumbsup:

12.23.12 020.jpg

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have the gas hooked up.....argon/co2 mix. You can change the polarity on the machine & run flux wire, but the gas is much nicer.

Matt

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Had some bumps & brain farts along the way, but here's some more.......got the bolt done. It was a PITA, but for the first one, it worked out ok in the end. First had it annealed, then came the learning curve on drilling deep. I'm getting ahead of myself.

1st........had to weld up the sear slot (ATF reg) and fill the rear indentations, so the striker would hit flush:

01.23.13 005.jpg 01.23.13 004.jpg 01.23.13 001.jpg 01.29.13 001.jpg

Then came the drilling on my mini-mill:

02.10.13 006.jpg 02.19.13 010.jpg

Cutting the slots for blocking bar & striker clearance:

02.19.13 021.jpg 02.19.13 023.jpg 02.19.13 025.jpg

Got it together, have a sling swivel on the butt-end, it will have to be a pistol until the Tax Stamp gets here..

02.07.13 005.jpg

Shoots great! but I may have to get a 16" barrel, as my patience may not hold out another 5 months to put the buttstock on..........

I can ad details on anything if wanted.....I also fabricated an oversized feedramp and modified the topcover to act as a bolt-hold-open.

Matt

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice build! I just got a parts kit from robertrtg for 170 plus 15 shipping
http://i45.tinypic.com/erll44.jpg

I'm gonna wait for a semi bolt though, I don't have the tool to make one. Same with the receiver. Not sure I have the guts to weld it!
Happy Easter!........sorry it took so long to look at this, not getting my email notifications..........Nice Kit!
Tools do make it alot nicer to build, now I just have to learn how to use them properly. lol I've taken mine to the range (as a pistol) and have been working on cast reloads for it....so far, I'm leaning towards the 147gr flat points. Low velocity, no leading, and a nice push vs the snap of 115gr.
I did get around to parking it the other day, here it is with a "dummy" barrel installed for display (another PITA until my stamp arrives), and in a group shot of some of my other re-welds. My Buddy calls it my "Wall of Badd-Ass". :laugh:

03.25.13 015.jpg 03.27.13 003.jpg

Matt

·
Registered
166 Posts
Looks great,bet thats fun being able to build things like that.I wouldnt have the first clue how it all would go together but wouldnt mind learning.

Nice..very nice work.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looks great,bet thats fun being able to build things like that.I wouldnt have the first clue how it all would go together but wouldnt mind learning.

Nice..very nice work.
Thanks, I really enjoy this hobby.......or obsession, depending on how you look at it. I didn't know a thing about building guns, welding, machining, etc. I built a Browning 1919a4 (pretty simple, farmed out the internal machining, bought a 100% RSP, & semi trigger pack) from there, that's all she wrote. Next thing you know it, I bought a stick welder from Craigslist & a PPS-43 kit. A few years later.......I have MIG welders, sandblaster, mini-mill, compressor, all sorts of small power & gunsmithing tools, and have been eyeballing a lathe :p. I'd encourage anyone to try a simple build. Maybe an AK or something..........but once you get started, it never ends...............

Matt

1 - 20 of 21 Posts