Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
9,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my students spent the weekend on an area USN base and returned with stories of all the weapons he drooled over. He told me the SPs assigned to his group were armed with .50AE Desert Eagles. I had not heard of any military use of these hip-artillery pieces. Anyone have news or info?

·
Platinum Bullet Member/Moderator
113 Posts
I have a son who is a Gunner's Mate, !st Class, USN. He has managed armories in Iraq and is presently in Hawaii. Only sidearms he deals with are Berreta 92 M9s and Sig P228 M11s. Both pistols are 9mm. He did learn .45 1911s in a school he attended with some Marines.

·
Copper Bullet member
9,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The kid seems to know his guns. He drew a Desert Eagle and told me the SPs fully described their guns as .50cal. Desert Eagles.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Jonny,
27 years and counting in the canoe club. Never seen anything like that issued. When I started they were removing M3 grease guns from the boats and "upgrading" us to M16s. I can't even bring my AutoMag V to gunshoots on base. I've seen SEALs on the boats carry HK SMGs and .45 suppressed pistols, once a Barrett. The DE was designed to give close range firepower greater than a normal pistol so ... maybe spec ops. Shore Patrol? Doubt it. They're just guys like us with a little extra training, do a year working for the Master at Arms and then back to the command. I could see the old GMG's carrying more than issue... well, I ain't seen it all yet, so could be. We've done stranger. What base? If it's close to CT, I'll go see, personally.

·
Copper Bullet member
9,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He did use the phrase "Master-at-Arms", and that some had shotguns and MP5s. The guys were working security for groups of high school students. Does that help with the picture?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Master At Arms is now a Navy rate, but it use to just be a collateral duty. Basically the same thing as MPs, and really would not have the need for non standard weapons. Remember, if the Navy wants extra security, they have the Marines guard it, ie nuclear weapons.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
YEARS ago when I lived in Venezuela a group of UOPE friends (Vzlan SEAL equivalent) showed up with five Desert Eagles in .50AE that IMI had sent for evaluation. They were being marketed as just what another poster suggested - close range, high power, small package (this was before the concept of PDWs). Anyhow, they pistols were tested and dismissed as too cumbersome and a solution to inexistant problem.
The point is this: IMI did and perhaps still does market this gun/caliber as a military solution, and they'll send samples with ammo for testing. Who knows, but maybe this is how they got into SEAL hands.

Eli

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Uncle is not going to be making a custom holster for MP's or SP's to carry Desert Eagles.

The young man just was over excited, had seen Sigs and imagined the Desert Eagle thing.

I am fairly certain that the Desert Eagles have had their chance and failed to pass muster many years ago.

In my opinion they are bragging rights pistols that people buy either to say, "I can afford a big expensive and impractical pistol" or "Look at me, I am a bad man now."

That is why the gold or chrome .44 is often seen stuck in the waste band of the rapper of the month on some magazine at the news stand.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Methinks an over active imagination is at work here too. I owned one for bragging reasons too. I soon got rid of as non pratical. Cool, but useless and PITA to try and carry.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts