Gunboards Forums banner

USMC Named Helmet Question

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  thorin6 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

Hoping this is the right place since its the US weapons forum maybe there are a few helmet experts out there. I purchased this a few years ago and thought it was a WW1 USMC helmet. I then figured it more likely to be an early WW2 USMC helmet. Do you guys think there is any way I can try to get some info on the name since there is also a serial number? Value of the helmet? Is it missing something on the top of the helmet? Is the liner missing a leather tie?

Thanks in advance,
Brian

See less See more
#2 ·
You might try typing the name into your search engine. There is a military archives in St. Louis, but a lot of it burned up, seems I recall that you had to be family to get access. You also might try"Leatherneck" magazine, they have a locater section every issue. I don't know if serial no's. started at 1 when they started, but 93000 is too high for WWI I'm sure. If the EGA (eagle, globe, and anchor device) has both longatude and latitude lines, it's WWI. I think it changed to lat's only in 1937. The liner took a "shoe string" tie. Considering condition, I'd guess less than $100.

#3 ·
Nice helmet. Its a Mdl 1917 A1 or "Kelly Helmet" worn in the 30's til the M-1 was issued. Looks to be missing the pad and suspension leather tie. Know I have a pad somewhere, the lesther tie is no big deal.The EGA looks to be a mdl 37. This is the helmet worn by Marines at Wake Island ECT.

#4 ·
Thanks guys,

Please let me know if you come across that pad and if you would be willing to sell.

-Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.