Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Hoping this is the right place since its the US weapons forum maybe there are a few helmet experts out there. I purchased this a few years ago and thought it was a WW1 USMC helmet. I then figured it more likely to be an early WW2 USMC helmet. Do you guys think there is any way I can try to get some info on the name since there is also a serial number? Value of the helmet? Is it missing something on the top of the helmet? Is the liner missing a leather tie?

Thanks in advance,
Brian

·
Registered
718 Posts
You might try typing the name into your search engine. There is a military archives in St. Louis, but a lot of it burned up, seems I recall that you had to be family to get access. You also might try"Leatherneck" magazine, they have a locater section every issue. I don't know if serial no's. started at 1 when they started, but 93000 is too high for WWI I'm sure. If the EGA (eagle, globe, and anchor device) has both longatude and latitude lines, it's WWI. I think it changed to lat's only in 1937. The liner took a "shoe string" tie. Considering condition, I'd guess less than $100.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,643 Posts
Nice helmet. Its a Mdl 1917 A1 or "Kelly Helmet" worn in the 30's til the M-1 was issued. Looks to be missing the pad and suspension leather tie. Know I have a pad somewhere, the lesther tie is no big deal.The EGA looks to be a mdl 37. This is the helmet worn by Marines at Wake Island ECT.

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice helmet. Its a Mdl 1917 A1 or "Kelly Helmet" worn in the 30's til the M-1 was issued. Looks to be missing the pad and suspension leather tie. Know I have a pad somewhere, the lesther tie is no big deal.The EGA looks to be a mdl 37. This is the helmet worn by Marines at Wake Island ECT.
Thanks guys,

Please let me know if you come across that pad and if you would be willing to sell.

-Brian

·
Registered
326 Posts
dont bother joining. ive tried twice now and gotten rejected twice for some unapparent reason......contacted administration with no response....
I've helped several people get registered on the Military Forum; they have a very strong anti-spam sub-routine which occasionally blocks legitimate folks. Often it depends on your email address (for example hotmail or gmail which are favored by spammers). If you need assistance PM me and I will do what I can.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.