Gunboards Forums banner

USMC M1903a1 Unertl Sniper SN 1496946

785 views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  randomdude 
#1 ·
Well...it finally happened. Ever since I started collecting, this has always been on my want list. Issue was 1) being able to afford one 2) just finding one period. About 3-4 years ago I started to get into snipers. Started with my WRA M1D. Shortly after, got another and another and so on. Midway through 2020, I finally purchased a Japanese Type 99 sniper, completing my goal of having a sniper from every major power of the war. I had a repro Unertl that shot great. Was getting sub MOA groups at 300 yards with it. I loved it. Well, when I had friends contact me and told me how a legit Unertl sniper was coming up, I got excited and waited patiently. I couldn’t believe it when I won it and was a mixture of ecstatic joy to feeling like I wanted to throw up. Rifle just came in this weekend and couldn’t be happier. This is one that will never leave my collection til I’m old and gray. The unertl scope is a low sn of 1557 and glass is clear. MW is under 1 with some minor pitting 3/4 way up the barrel. Still shiny though. This wouldn’t be possible with the help of friends who have the knowledge and other friends who egg me on and “just bid more”

#6 ·
Several years ago (maybe 25) I bought 2000 .30 caliber plastic sabots for reloading using .223" grain bullets of 55 and 60 grain bullets. I had forgotten all about the sabots until I was digging around in my old stash drawers and found the bag of them. I remember when I had loaded up a few of the sabots with the 55 grain .223's I chronographed three or four of the reloads and saw their velocity was 4000 + fps. That was firing them in a Springfield 03 A3 rifle. The sabot / .223 rounds should work in any bolt action rifle (30-06, .308, 7.62x54mm etc.) you have reloading dies for. Talk about a sniper round deluxe, that should be it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.