Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was debating on using a Lee Factory Crimp die to crimp my 6.5 x50 rounds.... only to find out that they don't make one. On Lee's website them seem to make a factory crimp for everything, why not for the 6.5 x50?. A fellow reloader said that a 6.5 Creedmoor crimp die could probably be used without modification. I know little about that round... does that sound feasible?

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
I was debating on using a Lee Factory Crimp die to crimp my 6.5 x50 rounds.... only to find out that they don't make one. On Lee's website them seem to make a factory crimp for everything, why not for the 6.5 x50?. A fellow reloader said that a 6.5 Creedmoor crimp die could probably be used without modification. I know little about that round... does that sound feasible?
If the length of the cartridge cases are THE SAME...it would work.
I use 7.62x54R factory crimp die for my 7.5x54 French reloads
And 7.62x51 (.308 Win) factory crimp die for my 7.35x51 Carcano reloads

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just looked up the dimensions of both of those rounds, I think you're correct. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Bullet crimp or neck sizing dies can be easily used for another cartridge if that cartridge has a longer case length.

Example is a .308 bushing die used for .303Br with a 5.2 mm high packer put onto the shellholder to rectify the difference in case length.

For a collet type neck die, IF the neck of both cartridges is the same, similar fix applies to place the position of the case mouth at the correct height and operate the collet as usual.

·
Registered
7,053 Posts
Bullet crimp or neck sizing dies can be easily used for another cartridge if that cartridge has a longer case length.

Example is a .308 bushing die used for .303Br with a 5.2 mm high packer put onto the shellholder to rectify the difference in case length.

For a collet type neck die, IF the neck of both cartridges is the same, similar fix applies to place the position of the case mouth at the correct height and operate the collet as usual.
Not so much for the Lee Factory Crimp Collet Die these days.

Lee USED TO make a Taper Crimp Rifle Die (I use one) it's just a hard-cut taper crimping die. You can run a longer case in this if you want, just adjust the die up higher, no moving parts.

The collet FCD is closed by contact with the caseholder, so a cartridge can't be significantly longer to the case shoulders or the case mouth than the die is designed for, you do not use the case shoulders to close the collet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
the case trim length for the 6.5x50 is only 0.027 shorter than the case trim length of the 260 Remington so if the 260 Rem collet FCD does not work correctly then it would not be difficult to take 0.027 off the top of the shell holder.

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
the case trim length for the 6.5x50 is only 0.027 shorter than the case trim length of the 260 Remington so if the 260 Rem collet FCD does not work correctly then it would not be difficult to take 0.027 off the top of the shell holder.
Yes, or the bottom of the crimping collet.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you gentlemen for pointing me din the right direction. A 260 Remington Lee Factory Crimp Die is inbound. I actually came to the same conclusion in regards to purchasing another shell holder and "taking a bit off the top". I'll see how it works out without modification first and then modify if necessary. I wouldn't want to ruin the die, plus altering the shell holder is the cheaper, easier alternative.Thanks again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts