Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello-
I am new to the M&H and reloading, so i had question regarding using 45-70 lead bullets for a reload. Would this be sufficient if it were paper patched to the higher caliber of the M&H? Also, as a quick side note- is it possible to trim the brass case with a hacksaw? I know it is not as precise, but I live in a small apt. and I dont have too much space to handle much more than the press and the annealing process. Any insight would be great.
Thanks,
James

·
Registered
570 Posts
PP the boolits up to .468 and you should get good acuracy,the 410gr boolit works but i have had much beter luck with heaver boolits,,try and find one around 480gr,with heaver ones you start to feel the recoil,i have had much beter luck with cases that are already formed,they are expencive but with care will last a long time

·
Registered
570 Posts
MH do not proform at there best with boolitsunder 400grs,with PPingthere is no need to lube the boolits but a grees cooki is needed,how heavy is the 457125 boolit if it is over 400grs it will work,over 500 and you will notice the recoil,have had no luck with the lighter boolits

·
Registered
380 Posts
You will no doubt get better results with the correct size of projectile in the 577/450, but 45-70 projectiles can be used quite successfully. Because cast and lubricated 45-70 lead bullets are easily available at gunshops, they are a good way to get started.
I haven't found that there was any advantage in paper patching them.

·
Registered
570 Posts
the advantage of PPing is it alowes comly avalible .45cal to be yoused in the MH with very good acuracy(the original military rounds were PP for the same reason )boolit bore size PP to groove size .468,it also polishes the barell and stops leading,I youse to youse a 530gr CBE boolit PP ,it shot very well but i got sick of the recoil in the MH,in my Alaxander Henry military rifle it is no were as bad

1 - 8 of 8 Posts