Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone date this holster? I've been told it's pre-WWII, WWII, and post -WWII. I know somebody's right (haha!).

I cannot find any markings at all on the holster. Although it is fairly worn, it is not likely that a mark could have been worn off without leaving any trace. The retention strap post looks like hammer forged brass, the belt loop post looks like steel. There is a pigskin sleeve over the adjustment buckle.

Any help appreciated,
Thanks

Jack

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is that a K98 sling buckle? Are there any maker's marks at all? It may be home-made, possibly in Europe after the war.
I believe the buckle is original.

The holster certainly looks like a M7. This is a shoulder holster with two straps. Perhaps one is missing?
JT
There is a strap that's missing. I only have what's pictured.

Jack

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Your holster is actually an M3 "Tanker's" shoulder holster, and possibly a post-War reproduction or replica.
USGI holsters had the maker's name stamped on the back AND the "US" stamp on the front.
Since yours is missing BOTH, it's probably not a genuine USGI holster.

The M3 had a single strap that goes over the neck and shoulder.

The M7 was developed after WWII.
The M7 has an extra strap that goes around the chest to position and secure the holster better.

The WWII through the mid-1950's holster was a Russet (red-brown) or natural (pink) leather.
Age, use, dirt, oils, and leather treatments changed the color to dark browns.

After the mid-50's the color for most leather goods changed to Black.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank You

This from Jerry Burney (a noted expert on WWII holsters):
Jack, This is a German Holster. The adjustment buckle is found on German slings. K98- MP40 etc. I would place it WW2 for sure.
It appears the holster could be a German civilian reproduction of an M3. Thank you all for your opinions/expertise.

Jack

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
2,661 Posts
What you have is post-WW2 and I'd hazard a guess that it was made in Germany for a USGI soldier of the occupation army. There is no USGI M3 holster with pigskin anywhere. That buckle is not USGI. The holster is a clone. It may fit a Luger. I've seen such a M3 clone that had a German saddler's mark on it.

You see the stud slot on the shoulder strap where its sewn into the holster? And the shoulder strap itself is narrower than the USGI holster. The strap came off something else. This one of yours was handmade using a M3 as a guide but using materials at hand by the saddler.

This one is genuine USGI WW2 issue to Capt. Frances Messmore, US Army. I bought it from the estate after he passed in 1993. The Colt 1911A1 has been mine for the last 26 yrs. Mfg in 1943. The book is "Infantry Weapons of WW2" by Bruce Canfield. Good general reference.

Dutchman

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well traveled design...

If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, the person who designed this holster should be feeling pretty good about himself. It seems this is a well copied pattern. I'm thinking this is a late war, German "last ditch" holster, or (more likely) an early post-war custom copy for a GI or German police officer.

As stated by Jerry Burney, "This is a German Holster. The adjustment buckle is found on German slings. K98- MP40 etc. I would place it WW2 for sure."

From "Military Holsters of WWII" by Eugene Bender:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts