Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I noticed Cole's distributing and a few other places have holster worn, import marked CZ-83's chambered in .380.

They are the older ones, marked "made in Czechoslovakia" and marked 9mm Browning.They are the ones that look identical to the CZ-82's just with commercial markings,unlike current production with the square trigger guard...... They all appear very used, obviously the Czechs wouldn't use a commercial pistol in .380 when they have their own issue CZ-82's in 9x18, but these came from somewhere and were obviously holster carried alot. A foreign police or military contract?

I would like to get one, as a CZ pistol collector, but would rather not hassle with an internet transfer deal since I don't have a C&R.My dealer is already tired of seeing me for transfers:)

Any word as to whether these are appearing at large gun shows recently?

I would imagine demand would be low for these, since the 82's make more popular guns, same as the 83 but in a much more available and cheaper (and IMO better) chambering.........380 costs an arm and a leg still, so I would get one just as the "commercial companion" of my CZ-82.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I picked up a used CZ83 in 380acp and another one in 9mm mak. Both are in excellent condition and were very affordable at the used prices. The 9mm mak was purchased and traded in because of the polygonal rifling the new owner didn't like it so it went right back without shooting it. I have heard the cz83 in 9mm mak are rare. I have two cz82's and a cz85db in 9mm luger. My point is these can be habit forming plus there the hottest pistol buy on the planet.

Get your C&RFFL03 and cut out the middleman. My local dealer wanted nothing to do with c&r guns so his loss is my gain, i got my c&rffl03 about 9 years ago.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would love to get my C&R, but for two reasons.......I am currently finishing my time in the Army and will be staying with my parents for a while until I get established at a job in my area, and they don't like, nor would I subject them to, the possibility of an ATF inspection. Plus, after 10+ years of collecting there's not much I don't already have that I would need the C&R for, and any guns I did buy would just be doubles of what I have already, like MORE CZ-52's and 82's, Toks, Mosin-Nagants, etc. I can probably pick these up on onesies and twosies at gun shows, I'm at the point right now where I need to slow down my buying and start doing more actual shooting, there's not a whole lot I want right now except a couple more examples of stuff I already have. I am swimming in surplus rifles right now and it will take me 10 more years to actually shoot everything a few times, and have gotten back into military and police handguns, not many of which fall into the C&R. I have been all over the map with my buying, and so have settled on Ruger revolvers and CZ auto pistols as my areas of focus.

Oh yeah, I love the CZ-82's, for lack of a better way of describing it, it is the most compact pistol that feels like a full size auto I have ever fired. It fills my hand like a full size holster auto, balances perfectly but carries like a compact. A lot of gun in a small package. I would love a CZ-83 in .32 ACP, it's one of my "CZ holy grails", I love CZ's and also .32 Auto pistols, since I got my CZ-85 almost 5 years ago, I have become a CZ fan and a collector. I have read that CZ still makes the commercial 83's in 9x18, but they don't import many to the US. There is supposedly one distributor who still gets them in direct from CZ, some place in New England somewhere. There are many theories why the stop to the 9x18 83, one was it would affect the C&R status of the CZ-82 , plus the market got flooded with surplus 82's to CZ saw no more need to make and import many 83's in the same caliber. I for one would like to see new commercial guns like the 83 made in 9x18, it would help fuel the popularity of this round and make it more of a "permanent" round here in the US, rather than "some round those cheap import guns shoot". Decades ago 7.62x39 started catching on, and now this round is almost as American as it ever was Russian.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts