Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys: Here is a Mle 36-51 with walnut furniture. I have seen a few others in this late F series with walnut also, but this one is only AMN not rebuilt example I have ever seen in the flesh...

The range scale on the launcher is polished off to emphisize the numbers, only original guns are like this, during rebuild, they did not do this, same with the rear sight scale....

Notice the type font is the same on the receiver and the fore end, and they stamped a space after the "F"....very interesting practice..Most likely the reception committe did these guns in batches, maybe 100 at a time, and partially stamped the series letter and number, then added the digits as necessary.

The series number on the stock is cut with a pantograph engraver, not stamped.

The F series up to about F 10000 had a horizontal series number, then in Jan 54, the began to stamp the number vertically, and moved the stock stamping to be visible with a boot installed, and relocated the fore end number to side of the stock from the bottom. I have noted this in the FH series of the Mle 36 and the above mentioned case.

I have not examined a non rebuilt Mle 49, so it is hard to say, but one presumes the same practice was followed with this rifle as well.

Dale

Attachments

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
What a beautiful rifle ! We have such a small sampling of the "F" '51s' as to be the equivalent of anecdotal, when forming conclusions. Of 15 examples, three are reported to have walnut stocks, (20%). These are F 600XX of 10/55, F 99218 of 10/56, and yours. Of note it the fact that your example is bracketed by the F 92681 of 07/56, and the F 95172 of 09/56, both with beech stocks.

The point regarding the rear-sight and launcher scale is well taken, however at least one reworked, (early "G"), had the launcher stripped, but not the sight.

EDIT: I have e-mailed the owner of the "G-51" asking if he would be so kind as to supply a picture or two. Reworks are problematic, be they French or the product of another faction. On some replacement beech stocks we see engraved serial numbers below the sling bar, "I" serial prefixes, and Latin and script used on the same rifle. This is why the un-reworked rifles serve as the basis for the 'collective list'. Where data is concerned, putting humpty-dumpty together again just leaves one with something that looks like Frankenstein.

·
Silver Bullet member
150 Posts
Hi

my 36-51 is Fspace60078 with walnut stock. Dated Octobre 1956. Floorplate is mismatched G series. Parkerized finish matches on the floorplate.
Range scale on GL is polished, not parked; no Serial number on fore end but small V stamped on bottom of butt stock about 65mm from butt plate.

Oops, just noted buttstock is mismatched (F 97998)!

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gentlemen: I suppose that an original laucher tube could be used as a replacement during rebuild, this is just a clue as to status that I go by. Many of these are found in the US rebuilt as new, with all sorts of mismatched parts, except the bolt of course!

This gun gets no respect, and needs some more study by us "experts"....

Dale

1 - 4 of 4 Posts