Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to a friend and member here I was able to help good friend of mine add this to his collection.

Late serial number NEW barrel complete with US eagle inspector/acceptance stamps along with a double stamped flaming bomb on the barrel. SA and D marked. Russian stock with updates and Deutches Reich stamp. Receiver appears to be from a different maker. This one has a lot of history from a bunch of different rifles mixed into it.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,946 Posts
Another great rifle from the Kevin Carney collection in the hands of a collector. I had mixed feelings selling that but I have found I can't keep them all after all is said and done. He sure has some good ones! It shot pretty good too. Bill

·
Registered
81 Posts
It's possible that this one was one of the thousands of rifles sent to Vladivostok for White Russian forces. Some of these rifles came out of the U.S. supply of US contract "Russian Rifles" while the larger portion of American made Mosin-Nagants sent to White Russians came from Remington's production in 1918, paid for by the Imperial Russian Embassy, which was still operating after the Bolshevik takeover in late 1917.

·
Registered
81 Posts
It looks like an "A" to me. Not really sure - I would speculate It's most likely Finnish - especially since your other Finn has one. This rifle has had an obviously interesting past and the Finnish property mark just completes the picture.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Thanks... I thought "A" right after I hit post. I examined mine, and even under a 10x loupe using various angles of light/contrast, I can see no cross, or any evidence of the grain having been touched in that area. My mark overall is not nearly as deeply struck, so perhaps if mine is an "A", the cross portion went missing during striking? Area is a high contact area, so perhaps that explains it?

·
Gold Bullet Member
821 Posts
I would agree with poilu that a US-surcharged NEW appearing as a later Russian mixmaster was probably one of the few shipped to Vladivostok in late 1918 for the Kolchak forces. Most of those were the REM 1917 US-surcharged pieces, but I suspect there were a few NEWs in that shipment as well, as they were taken from US Army inventory. The Mosin Nagants supplied to the 339th/310th in North Russia were Russian contract pieces shipped to England and left there in warehouses after the Bolshevik Revolution. Our troops surrendered their M/1917s in Aldershot and were re-supplied with those M91s still in England, which were NEWs shipped there under the English Contract.

southridge

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.