Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

· Gold Bullet member
1,154 Posts
But that uni didn't exist in 1941-1945, unless he was a time traveler. ;)

Filmmakers grab whatever stock they can find to tell their story and sometimes the image is more important than historical accuracy.
I'm gonna have to respectfully disagree.

Looks like type 3 hbt fatigues to me, which were in use in WWII, I've got a set. The lack of nametape provides some small support for it being WWII as well.

· Registered
413 Posts
Check out this 1967-1968 era picture from Frank DeHass's book "Bolt Action Rifles". It is a picture of his son, Douglas, holding what looks like a NVA 91/30 sniper rifle. In addition to the caption, what it interesting is what he is wearing. Looks very much like the stills from the DVD.

tom

· Registered
255 Posts
agreed

I am in the middle of the audio version of the book "Marine Sniper" about Hathcock (sp? and sorry if I butchered it) in VN.

Anyway, the book is talking about a VC sniper leader, a female nicknamed Apache by the Marines whose "prize possession" was a 91/30 mosin nagant sniper rifle with a 3.5 power scope.

Seems to confirm the 91/30's in VN theory. Having served in the military and with a father who was in VN, I have to say my first, current, and over-whelming impression is that it is a VN era photo.

· Registered
603 Posts
I guess, if the guy is a combat photographer (NOT PHOTO JOURNALIST) it could be any when from late WW II to early VN, and any where in the world.

Maybe a high-rez close-up on the cigarette would be the ticket? :rolleyes:

· Registered
40 Posts
Sometimes the people pulling footage for these contemporary productions aren't historically savy and may pull footage from a different era by mistake.
For example: I saw a show just last night supposedly about the battle of Stalingrad and it showed a german carrying an STG44.
Let's not forget those King Tigers about to invade France!

· Registered
959 Posts
I have an old 1936-dated Mosin that I bought many years ago at an antique arms show from the vet who brought it back from the war. He'd walked in looking to sell it and I happened to have a table right up by the door. The rifle is a total mismatch but is still in good shape. Has a nifty little hammer and sickle inside a wreth on the receiver. He told me that when his unit met the Russians in Germany, they all celebrated and drank before the officers stopped them and during the festivities, he "swapped a .45 that wasn't mine for it".

Other than the story, I don't know much about it. I'd be grateful for any info.

· Registered
1,474 Posts
I have an old 1936-dated Mosin that I bought many years ago at an antique arms show from the vet who brought it back from the war. He'd walked in looking to sell it and I happened to have a table right up by the door. The rifle is a total mismatch but is still in good shape. Has a nifty little hammer and sickle inside a wreth on the receiver. He told me that when his unit met the Russians in Germany, they all celebrated and drank before the officers stopped them and during the festivities, he "swapped a .45 that wasn't mine for it".

Other than the story, I don't know much about it. I'd be grateful for any info.
In the early 70's I used to be an Regular Air Force advisor to a Washington State Air National Guard unit in Bellingham. The unit commander was a Lt Col, and was a WWII Army vet. He used to tell the same type stories, of drinking and partying with the Russians, and he hd a Nazi dagger he said that he got from a Russian. So your story does ring true to me. (He also told some stories of bad incidents with the Russians, which I guess can happen when both sides are downing a few pints)

· Registered
959 Posts
Yeah, I'm skeptical of stories when used to sell stuff, but this old guy sounded sincere and he wasn't a vendor with a truckload of 'em.

So what exactly do I have there? Any help with the variant? It's got the round receiver and the arrow-in-a-triangle arsenal stamp, and almost every metal piece has at least one little star stamped in it, even the bands and the metal parts that lock the bands in place.

Pity I can't pull the receiver out of the stock because someone back in the day used a nail to secure the rear band and I really didn't want to mess that up.

Also, the front sling swivel slots are metal (brass/bronze) and the one on the other side is missing the two screws that hold it in place. Any idea where to get those?

· Registered
1,008 Posts
Looks like a 91/30. :D I'd say the old guy was tellin the truth. the stock isn't the typical refurb. Looks like it been there done that. :)

Looks like maybe a Finn Capture? It has sling hangers. Can you take a pic of the barrel shank? Any SA marks on it?

· Gold Bullet member
2,096 Posts
Looks like a 91/30. :D I'd say the old guy was tellin the truth. the stock isn't the typical refurb. Looks like it been there done that. :)

Looks like maybe a Finn Capture? It has sling hangers. Can you take a pic of the barrel shank? Any SA marks on it?
Those don't look like finn sling swivels-possibly spanish or albanian, maybe even russian expedient, but they don't look finnish to me.

· Banned
10,256 Posts
Took a while for people to mention the sling hangers, though NO ONE yet has mentioned the bayonet facing backwards under the rifle, with an attachment kinda like an M44 - maybe one of those previously fabled 91/30's with folding bayonet mentioned fairly recently?

Or my eyes could be shot...

· Registered
959 Posts
Rifle has no bayonet. Beneath the barrel is a slot for a long-missing cleaning rod. It has no SA marks. I wish that I could take better pictures but for some reason I just can't get the clear, detailed pictures that some of you do.

On the sides of the barrel at the woodline are a small circle with a K inside, an oval with what looks like a sideways 8, and on the other side, a diamond with a sideways 8 in it and another circle with something in it that I can't make out.

I went to this site http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinMarks01.htm and found some of the marks. The little stars on it look like Tula stars but the barrel has a clear Ishevsk stamp. It has what I recognize as a provisional black powder proof. The buttplate has an Ishevsk mark and the cocking knob has a circle with an R in it that looks the then Remington stamp in the site while the bolt body has the E symbol for Westinghouse.

The stock has a faint circular cartouche that I'd never noticed before today because it is so worn, but I can't make it out.

Every part has a serial number and no two match.

Ok, NOW this rifle has me interested.

· Registered
14 Posts
...THis is a "Posed" Photo, and I doubt whether it was even taken in South Vietnam....
+1^ Well, the camera is a Super Speed Graphic, which means it could have been taken almost anytime. That baseball cap is non-issue, which is more likely to be Vietnam-era. And, if you look at the "jungle" around him, it looks more like North Caroline pine forest than it does real jungle...

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.