Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For my birthday last July my wife bought a 10 DVD series called "WWII The Complete History". It is in newsreel format with short segments, ususally 5 minutes or less, in chronological order. Just finished it tonight.

In the 3rd segment from the end there is a story on combat photographers. A quick flash went by of a soldier holding a gun that looked very familiar. After going back and forth a few times I confirmed it. This is a Mosin. Looks like a M91/30 due to the globe front sight.

Look at the uniform. What can you tell me about this picture?

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,097 Posts
Hmm, I don't see a shellac finish on it-no shine and light wood. Oil??

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dare he drop his M1 for the Mosin? Would like to know the story behind it but most likely lost in time.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
I think that it is NOT a WW2 photo, but more likely a Korean War photo. Or possibly~very early~ VN advisor uniform. I cannot even imagine that to be a WW2 photograph.
Lots of Mosins were brought back by Korean war vets, many were beautifully engraved in Japan.
I've never seen a 91/30 from SE Asia (VN), but I've seen plenty of M44s/T53s, etc. Many of those had grenade launchers.
Have any of you seen a bonifide VN 91/30 bringback, or even a photo of a VN capture 91/30? Or maybe a Dien Bien Phu/Viet Minh or later photo of one?
I'd like to see one. I've seen K98s from VN, some other oddball stuff (you know, froggie rifles), but never any 91/30s.
Even the NVA photos of the war seem to show only M44s.
Anyone?

·
Administrator
10,268 Posts
Not a Soldier, but a Combat photographer (Civilian)

He has a camera bag over his shoulder, NO military Webbing at all, and the "uniform" is typical Vietnam issue Large Pocket design.
Korean Issue was still a version of Late WW II clothing (smaller Pockets, heavier cloth, different weave.) Also the baseball cap is probably not even Military. And the bayonet, though carried in the approved "Russian" fashion ( dismounted, reversed) is secured with some electrical tape of light colour.

THis is a "Posed" Photo, and I doubt whether it was even taken in South Vietnam.

As to the NVA's Use of M91/30s in Early (anti-French) use, I seriously doubt it. The majority of the equipment used at Dien Bien Phu was Nationalist Chinese Mausers, Arisakas, and US equipment ( from the French, as well as China)...and of course native French equipment.
Soviet design equipment started to trickle in only after the 1960s, and then it was mostly of Chinese manufacture. ( as in the M44/T53 carbines).

Never assume that these collections of "Period" photos and videos are actual "combat" photos...they were "posing" Photos as far back as the US Civil War and the Crimea (1850s 1860s. "Fakery" is nothing new....even if done un-intentionally.

regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Yep, maybe a KW press photographer with a pickup, or someone playing "bad guy" at an exercise at Ft. Benning circa late 1950s-early 1960s. Where is his bugle?!

·
Gold Bullet member
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This was from a WWII newsreel. Sure it could be posed. No reason to fake the date. There was lots of footage shot during the war and the hard part would be cutting it down to 30 hours. No need to fake any. This was 5 seconds of a 30 hour series.

·
Registered
970 Posts
This was from a WWII newsreel. Sure it could be posed. No reason to fake the date. There was lots of footage shot during the war and the hard part would be cutting it down to 30 hours. No need to fake any. This was 5 seconds of a 30 hour series.
But that uni didn't exist in 1941-1945, unless he was a time traveler. ;)

Filmmakers grab whatever stock they can find to tell their story and sometimes the image is more important than historical accuracy.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Sometimes the people pulling footage for these contemporary productions aren't historically savy and may pull footage from a different era by mistake.
For example: I saw a show just last night supposedly about the battle of Stalingrad and it showed a german carrying an STG44.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Sometimes the people pulling footage for these contemporary productions aren't historically savy and may pull footage from a different era by mistake.
For example: I saw a show just last night supposedly about the battle of Stalingrad and it showed a german carrying an STG44.
That is a common mistake when it comes to documentaries. I have noted similar clips.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Early VN.

And he is thinking: "I bet I can sneak this back to the real world and sporterize it for a good truck gun."

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.