Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why the heck are all the U.S. Milsurps so expensive? Seems strange I can buy a gun from a foreign country for 150.00 yet can't find an american made gun for less than 400 to 600 or even more??

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Supply and Demand. The high price of US milsurps is the reason that I don't have any.

·
Gold Bullet member
853 Posts
It's supply and demand.

In the 1950's, when US milsurps were flooding the market, they were dirt cheap. As a result, many went to the saw to make sporters. Those days are long gone, but current demand for US rifles is very strong. In the 1970s, German Mausers were cheap. More recently, Kar 98k's had become so expensive that new collectors were effectively priced out of the market. Then came the RC 98k's that spawned a whole new crop of 98k collectors. Right now, Mosins are dirt cheap. Given enough time, the cycle will eventually repeat itself with them too.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Sleepers in U.S. Arms...

There are some areas of U.S. made arms that are a blind spot on the C&R scene. Martially marked U.S. trainers are one. Mossberg made only 46,000 42MB's between 1941-43, marked "Uinted States Property" on barrel and receiver. Most have Brit acceptance stamps as well, because they were Lend Lease aid, but some saw service here. Compare to the number of 03a3 Springfields. Most have run $250-$300, about half that of a Springfield. There are fewer of these than of some models of Finn Mosins. Lend lease arms is a subdivision that's been overlooked. Those Savage made Enfields have appreciated since they landed here in the last year. They have the Ordnance Bomb markings and "U.S. Property" stamped on them. Grab one before they are gone.

G

·
Back in 1994 there was a ban placed on U.S. made milsurps from passing back over here from oversea's. What is here in the U.S. is basically what we have to choose from & that of course makes the price go up. Add the current supply of Foreign Military Surplus available at good prices... All of which are bringing new collectors into the mix who are also wanting some U.S. made guns too.
Basically, If you want a U.S. made milsurp, Hurry & get one now.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,427 Posts
'cause Bubba can read the maker and figures since it was made here and grandpa carried one, it must be the best gun ever made.

Which explains why a certain bastardized '93 mauser clone with target-sights costs nigh a grand in good shape.

·
Gold Bullet member
549 Posts
I think the first couple of posts covered it nicely - supply and demand ! :)

·
Registered
675 Posts
U.S. military rifles are one hole in my collection that will be there for a long time. One day I may buy some but not untill the Mosins go up alot in price since I keep telling myself that I can buy one Garand or five to ten Mosins.

·
Registered
428 Posts
There are some areas of U.S. made arms that are a blind spot on the C&R scene. Martially marked U.S. trainers are one. Mossberg made only 46,000 42MB's between 1941-43, marked "Uinted States Property" on barrel and receiver.QUOTE]

Agreed, the trainer category is one of the most overlooked and undervalued on the market and the prices can only go up. I have been able to fill in a lot of my collection at reasonable prices. So far I have been able to pick up a Springfield M1922 M1 upgraded to M2 (14,680 issued), US marked Winchester M75 (16,937 made), Remington 513T (69,952 made, and a Mossberg M44US. With these kinds of production numbers I think they are going to get harder and harder to find.

They are some of my favorite rifles in my collection.

·
Registered
102 Posts
There are some areas of U.S. made arms that are a blind spot on the C&R scene. Martially marked U.S. trainers are one. Mossberg made only 46,000 42MB's between 1941-43, marked "Uinted States Property" on barrel and receiver.QUOTE]

Agreed, the trainer category is one of the most overlooked and undervalued on the market and the prices can only go up. I have been able to fill in a lot of my collection at reasonable prices. So far I have been able to pick up a Springfield M1922 M1 upgraded to M2 (14,680 issued), US marked Winchester M75 (16,937 made), Remington 513T (69,952 made, and a Mossberg M44US. With these kinds of production numbers I think they are going to get harder and harder to find.

How many of the H&R M12's were issued to the US Military?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts

I managed to find the Mossberg 42MB at a gun shop, minus the rear sight and a sling swivel for around $65. I found the parts for about the same price. It's non Brit marked, one of the last thousand made. Cheryl Havlin says some of the last were never sent abroad. You have to be careful as some folks have taken commercial models and tried stamping them, but they are usually dealers that want a lot for the gun and get the stamping done wrong; "U.S. Property" instead of "UNITED STATES PROPERTY". Check out the two forums on Military Trainers and Mossbergs. Some folks don't really know what they have, though, and you can get a good deal if you are lucky. For now these are real sleepers.

·
Platinum Bullet member
5,025 Posts
US rifles just don't have the appeal to me of the German and Russian weapons. I had a nice Remington marked M1903A1 and also an M-1 Garand with a SA 4-42 marked barrel, I sold both to a friend of mine for $550.00 each. I could buy them back from him if I wanted to, but I've got no desire to currently. Maybe someday...

·
Gold Bullet member
2,116 Posts
I do love my US rifles, my 1903 Springfield is a very accurate rifle, and very pleasant to shoot, with great sights and a nice feel. I have a Krag that shoots the lights out also, and M1s? They just scream battle rifle to me, fun to shoot, great to lean up against the wall while I watch 'Band of Brothers':D
Expensive? Yeah, I guess, compared to some things, but there's always ramen noodles...
Also, with Gunhorde not collecting them, they sure are easier to find around here!

·
Registered
428 Posts
How many of the H&R M12's were issued to the US Military?
According to Batha, 15,000.

How many Mosins were produced?

I don't want to start a Mosin vs. US rifle flame since I think the collecting of all martial arms has it's own merit.
Consider this: not including M16 .22 conversions there were somewhere in the neighborhood of 400,000 (I would guess +/- 10,000) including the Kimber M82 .22 US marked trainers manufactured in 22 different models/configurations. Some of them were destroyed and others went overseas never to return. Any way slice it whether one like US weapons or not some of these can be found for the price of an RC K98. I think these rifles are the sleepers of collecting and will only go up in price.

·
Registered
102 Posts
According to Batha, 15,000.

How many Mosins were produced?

I don't want to start a Mosin vs. US rifle flame since I think the collecting of all martial arms has it's own merit.
Consider this: not including M16 .22 conversions there were somewhere in the neighborhood of 400,000 (I would guess +/- 10,000) including the Kimber M82 .22 US marked trainers manufactured in 22 different models/configurations. Some of them were destroyed and others went overseas never to return. Any way slice it whether one like US weapons or not some of these can be found for the price of an RC K98. I think these rifles are the sleepers of collecting and will only go up in price.
I remember paying $200.00 a piece for my brand new H&R M12 and Remington 541X in the wrappers from the CMP not that long ago. Now the prices are way up there on both of them.

·
Premium Member
9,938 Posts
I do not think there is a shortage of these arms - I see these all the time at shows and in shops. It is just people place a high value on them but this is not due to their being rare. I see M1917's, Springfields, M1's, and such in large numbers at every show that I go to. Granted some are at least uncommon - like a WW1 as issued Springfield - but still to call US arms rare is a big stretch. I do collect US WW1 so have a few US arms but not many due to prices. I love my 1917 as it is a great shooter. A much better buy for the WW1 collector in regards to value for the dollar.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts