Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched around the internet and this forum to no avail. Just how in the world are you supposed to read these sights? Two different scales, one in either side. Each side of the slider has two markings for reading each scale. And the scales don't really seem to be dialed in so that one is the notch and one is the peep. Any help?

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Not having owned or used a Ross I cannot comment specifically - just to say are you old enough to have used a slide rule at school (you know those things that were used up to the 60's before calculators came into use).

With a slide rule you have one scale that gives the 'whole numbers' (the RH side of the Ross sight ?) and another 'pointer' that gave the fractions of the number (LH side of the Ross sight ?)

Just a guess, them as really knows the answer will no doubt be along shortly.

Just as a reminder of the old days :

The same idea is used on target sights, giving you a 'coarse' and a 'fine' adjustment with scales on the Right & the Left sides of the sights.

Parker hale 5E/4 sight :

Copy_of_DSC_enf_%284%29.jpg

·
Registered
7,053 Posts
One is with the sight down and the other with the sight flipped up. I expect the one on the left is flipped up.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not having owned or used a Ross I cannot comment specifically - just to say are you old enough to have used a slide rule at school (you know those things that were used up to the 60's before calculators came into use).

With a slide rule you have one scale that gives the 'whole numbers' (the RH side of the Ross sight ?) and another 'pointer' that gave the fractions of the number (LH side of the Ross sight ?)

Just a guess, them as really knows the answer will no doubt be along shortly.

Just as a reminder of the old days :

View attachment 3841055

The same idea is used on target sights, giving you a 'coarse' and a 'fine' adjustment with scales on the Right & the Left sides of the sights.

Parker hale 5E/4 sight :

View attachment 3841056
I'm not old enough to have to use a slide rule, but I have used one before anyway. In any case, a friend of mine sent me this picture this morning. Turns out the left is a vernier scale in minutes!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts