Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i now wish i had taken pic,c before cleaning up this 1898 us krag
# 328563,stock catu.1901. the stock and metal was covered in a black oily layer of gue, the bore looked like a sewer pipe,
it has cleaned up very well but is only good plus(i think it may get better). now that i got the major dirt and surfice rust
off,it looks pretty good. i will clean it more, but i will take my time and go slowly. i don,t expect it to look new. i rea
ly like the rear sight with the little peep sight that can be pushed up and the adjustments windage and elivation. eastbank.

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i use the kroil on the metal,i then let it set to soak in and use any cloth to rub it off and then soak the metal again,while its soaking in i clean the wood(the hard part for me as its slower than metal work) i lightly rub with the degreaser on bounty and keep at it,but i don,t rub hard. i am not done yet so i have not put any howards feed&wax on. i use four oooo steelwool dipped in kroil on the metal parts,going slow and not rubbing very hard, trying to take a little off at a time. the bore just takes a lot of elbow grease with any good solvent and patches and good bronze bore brushes. the kroil and bounty took most of the black gue off fairly well on the first pass,s. eastbank.

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i took the krag out to the range and shot 180gr factory ammo and at 200yds with the little peep sight i had no trouble hitting a 10 inch gong from a rest. when i went home to clean it i found tne bore had gotten better,a lot of black crud came out while cleaning it. i had soaked the bore in kroil before going out. this krag may not be the best collector but it looks like a good shooter. eastbank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.