Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In honor of Rob Ski, just picked this up. When the Army decommissioned the M24 sniper, Remington bought them back and refurbed the rifles and sold them. I am not 100% but it would appear that sometimes rifles have their original barrels and receivers and sometimes they were replaced. This rifle came with the sling, full deployment kit and box.

Anyways, I thought this was super cool and it is a very accurate rifle. Scope was made in 1990. I added the 100 mph speed tape on the butt stock because I really like that look. Should I paint the barrel and receiver to match the stock or leave it black? Anyone else own one?

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
In honor of Rob Ski, just picked this up. When the Army decommissioned the M24 sniper, Remington bought them back and refurbed the rifles and sold them. I am not 100% but it would appear that sometimes rifles have their original barrels and receivers and sometimes they were replaced. This rifle came with the sling, full deployment kit and box.

Anyways, I thought this was super cool and it is a very accurate rifle. Scope was made in 1990. I added the 100 mph speed tape on the butt stock because I really like that look. Should I paint the barrel and receiver to match the stock or leave it black? Anyone else own one?
I know that when they decommissioned the m24 we where asked if we would like to buy them back............ needless to say and along the way I bought a 40xr in 6mm remington too

·
Registered
27 Posts
The Army kept the receivers and they were rebuilt by Remington into M2010s. It is a serialized sensitive item and a property book item.

·
Registered
17,593 Posts
Not sure I understand...Remington bought these back without receivers ? Somehow that does not line up with my recall of events but more to the point: If you paid the big bucks for this rifle, I assume you did so because it was a military sniper rifle. As such, its value is you keep it as issued (or released) by military.

If you got to paint something, go get a M700 current production and have at it.

·
Registered
702 Posts
The M24 program is well documented: the receivers were retained by DOD. Essentially everything else plus kit went to surplus. Your stick looks really cool - legit. Looks nearly like mine - congrats and enjoy. What's the scope serial number? (It looks close-ish to the one I was issued-note: I don't own a surplus M24 but probably kinda sorta wish I had bought one now...I was in the group that got the first dibs offer but turned it down for various reasons.)
I really like the accuracy of the M24 - they are phenomenal. I did not like its slow reload & follow-up shot capability; I quickly ended up much preferring the SR25 for most applications (later, M110 when they took our Stoner's-argh!)-although I did use the M24 for certain tasks. The bolt-actions have their place, though. (PS: is that all ya got in terms of 'deployment kit'? There is actually a panoply of other items in the "full kit". What the buyer purchases ends up being all over the place in terms of what ya get; scope, 'original' vs replacement barrel, kit items, etc)
As for painting...eh, I would lean towards doing it with strippable paint such as Krylon (which is what most guys used anyways) the reason being is it looks kinda dorky as is. I had my barrel replaced twice(!) on my M24 and as soon as it returned from depot/Rem, it got painted right away to match the rest of the camo scheme. But of course...couldn't leave it looking as is for a stalk...it would have looked way out of place.

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
The Army kept the receivers and they were rebuilt by Remington into M2010s. It is a serialized sensitive item and a property book item.
That is correct, it took me a moment to dig out flyers (see bullet points below). Still, this is as close to the "issue" M24 as you can get, since they used issue stocks, scopes and etc.

During M24E1/XM2010 proposal preparation, the Remington proposal team realized that essentially almost all of the parts of the M24 were going to be removed and discarded. In the past when Remington conducted M24 overhauls they were required to de-militarize (destroy) all the unserviceable system components removed. However, during the reconfiguration to the XM2010 most of the M24 parts removed would be serviceable but would still have to be de-militarized. The proposal team recognized an opportunity and decided to offer the Government a contract price reduction for a complete set of serviceable parts if Remington would be allowed to resell these parts in the form of complete sniper systems for the commercial firearms collector market. Remington was unsure if the Army could overcome the institutional and regulatory hurdles to agree to this part of their proposal. However, after many months of work by the PM Soldier Weapons program office, in coordination with their legal counsel and the Army Materiel Command, approval was granted for the transfer of all serviceable M24 parts to Remington Arms in exchange for a reduced contract price on respective XM2010s.

Then program for resale was created:

PRODUCT NOTES
o Unit price is $3500 PLUS tax (state dependent) and shipping/handling ($85 per rifle); you are also responsible for any additional state fees or taxes (you must research your states requirements)
o Each system includes the following;
 1x M24 with a new M24 receiver, barrel and fire control
 Used optics and mounts
 Used stock and accompanying components
 Used cases
 New or used accessories (tools, iron sights, etc)
o NOTE – This weapon is built from a combination of new and used parts, however each weapon is 100% tested and functional. Some accessories MAY NOT be present due to unavailability from the US Government.
o Changes occurred during the life of the M24; therefore the weapon you receive may have newer or older components depending on what is available.
o The US Army developed several accessories for the M24 which are not available (such as the flash hider), thus these items will not be included with the weapon you receive.

Accepted sniper school certificates are;
 Special Operations Target Interdiction Course (SOTIC) Level I
 Special Operations Target Interdiction Course (SOTIC) Level II
 US Army Sniper school –B4 ASI
 USMC Scout Sniper school
 USMC Scout Sniper Instructor Course
 USANG Sniper school – B4 ASI
 USN SEAL sniper course

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for comments guys. Especially from the guys who used these, very valuable information. This is all very interesting. My scope serial number is 90-0303

·
Registered
17,593 Posts
This then is original parts on a new receiver for $3500. I am sure its every bit as good as when it was first built on the original receiver. I am just amazed it cost so much ,

·
Super Moderator
7,090 Posts
New rifles without the scope are $2900.00, so $3500.00 isn't to bad.

Not to mention the coolness factor.

·
Silver Bullet Member
5,646 Posts
I picked up one of these not long ago, as well. Mine didn't come with the cool paint job, though. I purchased mine from a 19 year Special Forces sniper in Texas and he said that the reason it didn't have paint is that it was most likely just kept at the base and never went out in the field. The paint would have been cool but at least I don't have to decide whether or not to paint the barrel and receiver. ;)

I've only had the rifle out to the range twice so far, but it's an impressive shooter out to 300yds for sure.

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here are a few recent auctions.

$4,750

$6,182

·
Registered
702 Posts
Thanks for comments guys. Especially from the guys who used these, very valuable information. This is all very interesting.
I didnt decline the M24 due to the fact the rifle wasnt available with the "original" USGI receiver-it had more to do with spending priorities vs collecting interests. Although I could have come up with the $, I wasnt compelled. I hope anyone who gets one, however, really enjoys them. Regardless of the amount and type of 'original parts'-they are still a really cool set of kit for what you get: After all, it is about the only game in town if someone desires an authentic US mil SWS from that era (similar to the CMP M1911A1 program); Although, having said that, CMP auction has had some similar rare SWS's such as XM-3's on select occasions including some M40's, etc but you are going to have to pay top dollar for one of those. That, and their SWS scope only sales). All in all, a really cool part of US military sniper history that any citizen can now own just like a WWII era or similar SWS.

My scope serial number was 89-1208. My rifle was named "JUSTICE" by my senior after the dastardly 9/11 attacks in 2001 & he carved the name into the stock on left side just below the receiver. If anyone ever come's across that-let me know, I'd like to see it again. Accuracy was amazing-it could shoot coke bottle caps at 300m with M118LR (i.e., sub-MOA).

Reference: CMP completed/closed auction sales archive

·
Silver Bullet Member
5,646 Posts
You can certainly tell they are designed for the M118LR ammo. The last time I shot mine I was trying to see if I could get similar results to the M118LR with some of the Nosler CC 168 gr. bullets. I've still got some work to do!

Here's my best 'group' (only 3 rounds) with the M118LR. This was at 200 yds., shooting from a bench using the bipod. If you can get some of the M118LR ammo, it's worth it for these M24 rifles!

With my reloads, I still got close to MOA. This was at 300 yds.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts