Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dear friends,

I need info on the stamps on the Schmidt-Rubin conversions. I have the "Swiss Magazine Loading Rifles 1869-1958" by Joe Poyer, but didn't see what exactly stamps have this meaning, a conversion (vs. "repair").

The correct answer will determine whether one of these rifles can be imported from Europe, where the local laws define the "antique" status somewhat differently. And the offer will expire really soon, so I need your expert knowledge.

Please, post scans from books with relevant information on the stamps (this would be admissible over there) or point to a source accessible through the Net. What STAMPS should I be looking for? What stamps designate "repair" and what stamps designate a "conversion"?

Your help is GREATLY appreciated.

Nick

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
The serial number on the receiver is all you need to see if a rifle was manufactured before 1899 (that is for import in the USA).
The refurbishing stamps have nothing to do with the manufacturing year.

Guisan. :)

·
Super Moderator
11,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The serial number on the receiver is all you need to see if a rifle was manufactured before 1899 (that is for import in the USA).
The refurbishing stamps have nothing to do with the manufacturing year.

Guisan. :)
I know that, but certain authorities would not trust a quote from an unknown for them book. The question I was asked was about the stamps that may designate conversion (to another model, e.g. 1896/11) vs. repair stamps.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Well a 96/11 made before 1899 as 89/96 is considered antique and that it was converted to another cartridge between 1912 and 1919 is of non importance. If those authorities do not accept the Waffenfabrik Bern books were do they get their info then ?
Btw my experience is different, customs confiscated a just in 1898 made rare Swiss rifle but they had to release it after the proof (the books) was handed over. Call the ATF or visit their website if you want more info.

Guisan.:)

·
Super Moderator
11,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guisan,

Thanks for your replies. I guess I wasn't very clear - it is not our laws that I am concerned with, they are more or less known to me. I need some pictures of markings & their meanings for the authorities of another country.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Well a 96/11 is not considered antique anywhere in Europe. Belgium has recently changed the gun laws and made them free to own as long as one does not shoot it but export still requires paperwork.
Here a link to most markings...

http://www.swissrifles.com/proofs/

Guisan.:)

·
Super Moderator
11,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks!

About Europe - true, that's why I was asking.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts