Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just returned from at a wedding in Nashville and found a box leaning against the carport wall. Knew a rifle was coming, but expected to find a notice that a delivery was tried. Both ends of the box looked like an accordian with a tear in one end, but the rifle inside, an excellent North China Type 30 was undamaged (the NCT30 is an 8mm copy of the T-30 carbine for you grasshoppers, see Frank Allan's excellent, "The Early Arisakas.)

The only problem with the rifle is the bolt is missing! I've emailed the sender asking if, perhaps, he forgot to pack it ( I hope so.). As there was no "adult signiture required" on the box I'm guessing it may not have been shipped as a rifle. The sender did have a copy of my C&R so it could be a UPS screw up.

I do not want to get the sender in a bind, nor do I want to return the carbine. Riceone is straightening a 30 bolt handle for me, will have to see if posssibly a 30 bolt will fit. Since the one Roy is working on is missing the bolt face there is no problem with the caliber, 6.5/7.92. My question, has anyone had a problem similar to this with UPS, i. e., filing a claim on a damaged rifle that may not have been sent as a rifle?

·
Registered
479 Posts
I don't think it matters that its a rifle when sent. I think the only weapon they require notice of is a handgun as they require it to be overnighted with signature. The reason for that policy is exactly what happened to you when the deliverer just leaves it laying on the porch without signature and it gets stolen. Also, UPS does not always get signatures for anything. I have had many rifles delivered to me and found it sitting in my entryway when I got home. Unless you specifically request a signature when sending, many times no signature will be obtained. If you send through a store that just sends things in whatever shipper you want (UPS, FedEx, USPS, etc) sometimes there is an extra charge for a signature at the end.

Another reason to use USPS Priority Mail.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,025 Posts
Can't help you with this problem el ol Rodento, but people that like firearms don't use UPS. I could write a book of UPS horror stories. They gave a rifle that was clearly marked "Adult Signature Required" to my daughter when she was visiting for the summer & she was about 13 years old! They've left stuff (firearms!) on my porch in plain sight with "signature required" stickers on the package. They've delivered things to me that I had just shipped (before I stopped using them). Oh, and their tracking system is great! I watched my minty 9th Howa go from Scottsdale, AZ to Ontario, CA - back to Scottsdale & then it came to me! Looked like they drug the box the whole way. Fortunately the seller double boxed the rifle. I could go on & on, but to make a long story short - UPS sucks! I've had awesome results with Priority Mail. The price is very comparable except the insurance is more with Priority - but then again, you don't need it as much as you would with UPS!

·
Gold Bullet member
4,322 Posts
UPS

I don't think it matters that its a rifle when sent. I think the only weapon they require notice of is a handgun as they require it to be overnighted with signature. The reason for that policy is exactly what happened to you when the deliverer just leaves it laying on the porch without signature and it gets stolen. Also, UPS does not always get signatures for anything. I have had many rifles delivered to me and found it sitting in my entryway when I got home. Unless you specifically request a signature when sending, many times no signature will be obtained. If you send through a store that just sends things in whatever shipper you want (UPS, FedEx, USPS, etc) sometimes there is an extra charge for a signature at the end.

Another reason to use USPS Priority Mail.
Go to UPS and read their corporate regulations. All firearms must be declared to UPS as part of the shipping process. Long arms can be shipped ground. If it wasn't declared, they are not bound to honor insurance as it was not properly obtained. Good luck on a satisfactory resolution with the seller.

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
Ditto A'dog's suggestion on using USPS Prioity for shipping. It's now my sole method for shipping anything militaria-related.

C/

·
Silver Bullet member
15,586 Posts
Sounds to me like the carbine was not packaged particularly well. Problem is between the shipper and UPS.

IMO you should tell the seller you want a refund and let him deal with UPS; otherwise you will be in the middle of a mess. You can always buy the boltless rifle back at some point.

I hope you saved the packaging.

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
O3hombre, I have the box, you may have the bolt, he packed/shipped to you at the same time he packed my rifles. He offered to make any adjustments I think necessary, return the carbine, adjust price, etc. Since I have a "sub-collection" of 30s I want to keep the carbine. I've had a dozen or more over the years, but they have all gone to never-never land, i.e., someone elses wall.

I'll be over at Roy's within the month (didn't know that did you Roy?) and maybe we can grind the lugs on that junker 30 bolt so it will fit?

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,025 Posts
Sounds to me like the carbine was not packaged particularly well.
This will be good - Rodent complaining about poor packaging! =)

·
Silver Bullet member
2,135 Posts
UPS

I have no complaints with UPS. Have bought and sold maybe 200 guns and all shipped by UPS. Bought a 44 carbine from Craig Cooper several years back. Tracking showed it was received by UPS but I never got it. UPS paid Craig and he sent me the money. Price was over $1000.00. Since then when I have shipped a rifle with value $1000.00 and over it requires a from that I sign and the UPS pickup man signs and I keep a copy and he takes one with him. I never indicate what is in the box. Bought several rifles from Rodent this year and would not ship them, went and got them or he brought them by here. What are you bringing me this time? riceone.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,586 Posts
bolt

Ronin,
I did get that message from Bill; will pick up my carbines tomorrow. I hope they are in one piece!

If I have an extra bolt(yours), we can negotiate!!!!

Check your email!

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,425 Posts
Hey Mr. Ronin # 48 .....
hate to be the bearer of less than satisfactory knewskys ( must be that 1/2 empty OML that you left in '95 is making we wooosy ). The Chinese version of the T-30 carbine in 7.9 cal. has a bolt that is a 1/4 inch longer than a Japanese T-30 bolt, it is also much cruder in finish.
You are in luck in as much as I have a spare one in the parts bin. If you find that you need it let me know and see what we can trade.
Vicasoto

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Riceone, Will have to check on goodies for you, you about cleaned me out. Will be bring you an excellent "project" if the bolt is not in Don's shipment and doubt that it is. Fitting the 30 bolt you have with the bent handle, it is back to original configuration now isn't it, to the North China carbine receiver. Locking lugs will probably have to be slightly ground and it may be necessary to remove the bolt handle and reposition, either anterior or posterior. I hope locking lugs are the only work needed.

Will be hauling all the "Pre Murata pieces, about 10, over for your excellent photographic work. I'm driving Ruth to Memphis, leaving her and going home via your place. She will ride to St Chas with her daughter and fly back later. If you are lucky you may get me more than a day and a night. It's about time your luck changed, what with the poor grit harvest this year. Will let you know the exact dates later today.

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Vic, missed your post on the way to "poking" at Riceone. How much "blood" will you need?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts