Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Silver Bullet member
55,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when in a situation and its not of your making.....you have but one choice.....
run...... that is if your not mentally prepared to act in a instant with confidence!
if your unable or not running you must take the offensive and fast attack, attack attack again again.

mentally you take charge of all cognitive thought levels your built in strength is into you quick response plan of action......interruption of his in place plan not taking into your response!

this takes a parallel type practice of sort,...mind comfort habit.....lighting response in your face literally
everything must be done in a" second of thought" without hesitations and with authority......
the window of opportunity is the second you decide to take this course.....

gun in play or physical contact.....you must inflect pain, pain, pain hurting the attacker that second....changing his mind set to pain......lost the control ?
suffering, defensive of his game plan back to thinking what he should do next all under stress, supprise as he did to you!

· Diamond Member
13,558 Posts
Been watching Best Defense ? possibly even more than with firearms , unarmed self defense and knife fighting really needs professional training and constant practice . If you are willing to put in the work you can be competent in about 6 months .. and really dangerious within a year.. but to be effective you have to be willing to be cruel and heartless... although I do admit, turning the tables on somebody.. seeing the surprise, then wreching a joint free from it's socket , does have a certain satisfactory feeling when necesary...

Everybody needs a good physical fitness program .. might as well be a martial art... not that I think many actually have the self dicipline, and all they really just want some quickie tips from a TV show.

· Registered
3,214 Posts
I have been taught that an effective blow is one to the the neck just below the chin. A natural reaction for the attacker is to grab their throat with both hands thus buying you some time. All this providing you can get close enough in the firat place. then again, there's always the crotch area if the clown is male..

· Diamond Member
13,558 Posts
Mustang.. actually just above the crotch is better and works on both men and women .. sharp strike just above the pubs mons,if done correctly, can break the pelvic girdle.. once that is broken,the entire skelton can no longer support the weight of the body , any attempt to use the legs is extremely painful and the legs can no longer support the bodies weight.. makes hitting the gonads feel like a walk in the park..
it also tends to be a long term fix to a short term problem and is hard to ever fix.. at best, months in a body cast.
A good understanding of the human atatomy aids in unarmed self defense

· Silver Bullet member
55,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
SGT took a mix of street fighting / judo lessons in i believe 1976's from a X GI friend in collage..and another guy 1978third guy 1980's...nothing fancy informal basic first strike quick recovery things........

i never knew the psychological terms or was taught the mental changes for successful inguagements and the mental effects on the attackers......
but it makes good sense and has been in my game plan practiced, used a few times many years ago when young in my 20's.......

i found that when i saw the information given on this site....
that i had been taught to use the proper approaches learned those many many years ago......

nothing really new...except the mental thoughts.........
my old age may limit me...a little but the film / info renewed my perspectives and reminded me of how important that early training has been to my over all approach to self defence.....

just going down memory lane.....by informing others and the limited course info i have seen..
i'm in complete agreement with.....and also was taught similarly concepts......

if the shtf.....we / i have talked about these things with or without guns take charge quickly get involved the mental /visual control/ action responses.....
to get into total environmental awareness in seconds of the onslaught of high levels of attack (back) madness......

yes its ....quick as lighting, unemotional movement to the upper body physically or gun responses as quick...

no time to say poor old me, why me?, or whats my plan or dial 911....
its rock and roll right out the gate.....

others should look at the ad on the BEST DEFENCE SITE front page of forum its inspiring!

· Registered
3,214 Posts
Mustang.. actually just above the crotch is better and works on both men and women .. sharp strike just above the pubs mons,if done correctly, can break the pelvic girdle.. once that is broken,the entire skelton can no longer support the weight of the body , any attempt to use the legs is extremely painful and the legs can no longer support the bodies weight.. makes hitting the gonads feel like a walk in the park..
it also tends to be a long term fix to a short term problem and is hard to ever fix.. at best, months in a body cast.
A good understanding of the human atatomy aids in unarmed self defense
That's good info sgt. Now if I can get this old arse leg up that high It would probalby disable the perp and myself...

· Registered
2,315 Posts
Remember not to do the theatrical, or boxing, closed fist punch to the jaw or head. A broken hand, especially the dominant hand. is bad juju in a survival situation.

· Copper Bullet member
4,870 Posts
As Mustang69 said "Now if I can get this old arse leg up that high It would probalby disable the perp and myself..."

Well ... we don't like to think we are getting old, over the hill, decrepit, woefully out of shape and not able to do the things we used to do.
Physical encounters for "seniors" is problematic! Realization that those days of youthful vigor and vitality are long gone must alter your tactics accordingly.
I have years ago lost any desire to go to a gym, do any stretching or form of exercise and it's been decades since Karate lessons. The body has long since failed but the mind remembers ...
If you ever had any kind of training at some point in your life, it may still be resident in those few brain cells remaining.
Not that these old legs and joints may cooperate, I still remember some quick down and dirty moves intended to put down an attacker quickly.

There is always someone bigger, badder, stronger and meaner than you... and that will likely be the foe you are facing!
I had more than a few good "tussles" in my LEO days that made me realize I was no Mike Tyson and I nearly got my butt stomped more than once. The older I got, the more that became evident as I faced opponents half my age and twice my size. Perhaps what saved me was a period of instruction from a very good black belt who taught us only some of the nastiest down and dirty moves.

A shot to the balls is one of the most effective and crippling. The average street thug is a boxer who tends to defend the upper body and use his fists and arms. You won't get to his head but he often leaves the lower body well exposed to a strike. YOU don't have that prize fighter's knockout punch anymore and flailing away at his upper torso will do you no good even if you do connect.
A knee or foot in the nuts will double him over placing his head in nice position for a followup knee in the face.
Even if old legs don't cooperate, you can still get a foot up high enough to rake the sole of your shoe down his lower leg. Ripping skin off the shin can cause a lot of pain and does not require much force. Stomping on the arch of the foot can easily break bone and render that leg useless to remain standing. A side kick directly on the knee can make it go in a direction nature did not intend, again, rendering that leg useless.

Learn to BLOCK with the strong part of your arms and defend against the fist. Learn to use your legs and feet, the strongest remaining muscles left in your aging body, to carry out your offensive attacks. If you have intentions to KILL, watch for any opening to go for the throat. Collapsing the larynx and cutting off the air supply will end a fight and a well aimed knuckle strike can easily do that but remember that the results may be fatal!

Never "wrestle". You will lose a one on one strength contest. If you do get tangled up close in, forget the fists and go for the soft and painful parts.
Eyes can be popped out of sockets with a thumb. Ears can be ripped off the head. Get your fingers up his nostrils and you own him. A firm grip and pull on the nuts, depending on the clothing, can cause them to come away in your hand.
And ... don't forget you have TEETH!
Your bite may not be as good as a small dog but you can do a lot of serious and painful damage with your chompers!

· Diamond Bullet Member
10,388 Posts
A humbling experience for me is to close my eyes and lift up one leg as far as it will go. Bend the knee, hold the leg in front or in back - doesn't matter; my balance is only good for 10-15 seconds. When I last longer it's because I'm cheating without knowing it - there's a window or a light or something providing a visual cue as to my orientation even through closed eyes. Eliminate all such cues and within 15 seconds either the foot goes down or I do. This was not the case even 10 years ago.

· Registered
582 Posts
i have found that a LOT of bulked up and big men have very bad knees due to injuries when they were younger and played sports. a judicously applied kick hard and with force through the knee tends to take it out. either sideways or just below the knee on the shin will work

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.