Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

I posted a week or so ago about a Romanian Contract vz24 I had on layaway, only to find it had a Columbian bolt. I have found another that I REALLY like and am looking to trade for but may have to buy if I don't have anything he is interested in. It has a mismatched, but Czech, bolt that appears to be from the same "RR" serial number range. It also has the "1940" marked receiver. I would be driving about 2-hours to get it as well, which doesn't really bother me since I'm always up for a road trip. I really like it but tend to "target fixate" so any help that would keep me in the ballpark would be appreciated. I think I have a pretty good idea but could use some advice from folks much smarter on these than me.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,190 Posts
Everything I can see in the photos looks good. It does not show the stock serial number. An unmolested RR serial number on the bolt is almost as good as a matching number.

Regards,
Bill

·
Registered
17,679 Posts
Everything I can see in the photos looks good. It does not show the stock serial number. An unmolested RR serial number on the bolt is almost as good as a matching number.

Regards,
Bill
+1, also like the intact unscrubbed receiver

·
15,190 Posts
The Romanians scrubbed the King Carol and King Michael crests, and most of the Czech lion crests, but they seem to have left the 1937/1938/1939/1940 year crests alone.

Regards,
Bill

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Regards,
Bill
The stock SN stamped on the side is the same as the receiver but reversed, instead of RR 1059 it reads 1059 RR, they didn't post last time.

Any thoughts on value? I know the date marked receivers are a little rarer than the standard "scrubbed" rifles, but not sure how that would affect value.

Attachments

·
Registered
17,679 Posts
well for me i would say 300-350 as a ball park. The unscrubbed rifles have much more an appeal to me.

·
Registered
17,679 Posts
its a Romanian refurb so it does have a short limit on how high it should go. If it was an all original rifle.. it would be a different story.

Geladen knows his stuff, so i would wait to hear from him.. i just know enough to be dangerous.

·
15,190 Posts
I hate to give prices on anything because everyone seems to think I am either too high or too low. But here goes: I would say $200 would be a deal, $250 would be fair, and I would go up to $300 if the stock s/n matches the receiver. My observation is that VZ24 rifles, especially Romanian, don't sell for as much as they should.

This seems to be a desirable rifle. If I was holding it and I liked it, I might go up to $350. If the seller did not state a price, I would start by offering $200.

Added: I just saw that the stock had an RR suffix rather than prefix, so it is a Romanian stock and not original Czech. So, change the prices to: I would say $175 would be a deal, $225 would be fair, and I would go up to $275 if I was holding it and liked it.

If it was an unscrubbed King Carol or King Michael, it would be a very different story.

Regards,
Bill

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks gentlemen, it helps a lot and certainly isn't binding LOL! I was looking to possibly trade a SCW Mosin whose stock has been refinished. I know SCWs go for much more (one just did on GB for $386) but with the stock messed with and it doesn't have ALL the signs (no USSR, URRS, MP8, Flaming Bomb, hangars) but is a scrubbed 1937 Ishevsk, no import marks, un-refurbed, all mis-matched. I think these two would be in the ballpark of the above. He is asking sub-$250 cash. On top of it, I'll be driving two hours to get it. It might just be in my best interest to buy it rather than trade.

I noticed the RR suffix rather than prefix and thought that was odd, thanks for explaining that geladen!

Thank you very much.

Attachments

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
that handguard screams SCW
It (and the whole rifle) were significantly sanded (an SCW feature I know) but then it looks too pretty and when looking in the stock channel on the inside you can see more "shinyness" from whatever was used to finish the stock. Hate to see it altered but it is nice looking and not really sure I want to let it go being SCWs, even altered ones, don't come along every day.

·
Registered
17,679 Posts
the Finnish looks like tru-oil, but i am not 100% certain of this. Certain lighting can make stock finish more glossy than they normally are. I got lucky and only paid $200 for my SCW this past summer. You are right they do not come every day; but it would be a fair trade.

Did you talk to MattSw about it, he is the little SCW guru.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the Finnish looks like tru-oil, but i am not 100% certain of this. Certain lighting can make stock finish more glossy than they normally are. I got lucky and only paid $200 for my SCW this past summer. You are right they do not come every day; but it would be a fair trade.

Did you talk to MattSw about it, he is the little SCW guru.
Nope but will do. Thanks for the reminder.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I picked her up today. Love her, even with a slight issue.

Well, I traded my 1923 ex-Dragoon for one of my new favorite rifles. There are some good and a bad.

It is definitely a replacement stock, you can see the remnants of the original stock number under the current SN. The stock appears to have an old german script marking on the left side (script M perhaps) and better yet, what I think is a "Balkan pine cone" stamp on top of the stock wrist behind the action. I am looking for research on Balkan RC vz24s.

Every part I can find marked is done so with the circle Z. The bolt is an RR bolt with a square C around an M on the bolt handle.

The bad part however is a fairly substantial c-shaped crack that starts near the rear of the action and curves down the left side of the wrist. I guess its time to research repairs. I'd love to find instructions on how to replicate a period repair.

The rifling is dark but strong. It is counter-bored.

Even with the crack and counterbore, I really like this rifle. I love my Mosin Nagants, Garand, Enfields, etc. But there is something about this rifle that really speaks to me. Its really something to think it was made in Czechoslovakia, under German occupation, for the Romanians, to fight the Russians, potential fight the Germans at the end of the war, then post-war activities in the Balkans...wow.

I hope you like and any help with the repair would be appreciated. I don't shoot often at all but I'd like to shoot this at least once but don't want the stock to shatter.

Attachments

·
15,190 Posts
Your rifle looks thoroughly Romanian to me. The stock marking with the spiral is the same as I have seen on the grips of two Romanian rebuilt VZ24 bayonets, one of which I own. I suspect it is the logo of the rebuild facility.

I have not seen the pine cone before but it differs greatly from the Albanian pine cone marking on M91/30 rifles. See: http://62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinMarks03.htm

There is nothing on your rifle I can see that indicates it ever went to the Balkans. It does match others that were rebuilt post WWII by Romania.

Your rifle is not an RC unless you want that to stand for "Romanian Contract" instead of "Russian Capture".

You said "But there is something about this rifle that really speaks to me." Of course it does, it's a Mauser! ;)

Regards,
Bill

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Your rifle looks thoroughly Romanian to me. The stock marking with the spiral is the same as I have seen on the grips of two Romanian rebuilt VZ24 bayonets, one of which I own. I suspect it is the logo of the rebuild facility.

I have not seen the pine cone before but it differs greatly from the Albanian pine cone marking on M91/30 rifles. See: http://62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinMarks03.htm

There is nothing on your rifle I can see that indicates it ever went to the Balkans. It does match others that were rebuilt post WWII by Romania.

Your rifle is not an RC unless you want that to stand for "Romanian Contract" instead of "Russian Capture".

You said "But there is something about this rifle that really speaks to me." Of course it does, it's a Mauser! ;)

Regards,
Bill
As I looked up the "pinecone" mark I realized what you stated, looks NOTHING like a Balkan mark and yes I did mean Romanian Contract not Russian Capture (gotta watch my acronyms/abbreviations)!

I love the MANY Mosin Nagants in my collection, but I totally forgot how silky smooth a good mauser action is!

Do you have any links to how they would have repaired a crack like mine in the wrist of the stock or would they just replace it? I have seen other posts that suggest various industrial wood glues and a vise and will continue to research good, durable repairs.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts