Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am going to be the owner of one of these....it looks decent but when I started to strip it down for inspection, the bolt got stuck halfway back. it looks like someone placed the rear of the reciever in a vice and tightened it up. both sides are "bent" inwards and retards the bolt carrier. It will not cycle. It can not be stripped either.

If I had a tiny screw jack I am confident that I could "push" the sides back out enough for it to cycle.

the problem is I am fresh out of "tiny screw jacks". Any ideas as to how get this back into shape enough to cycle?

I am tempted to beat the bolt carrier back out with a rubber mallet but don't know if that will straighten the reciever enough to function or if will damage the bolt carrier.

It's not in my hands yet...can't pick it up until the 22nd.

If it wasn't mashed with a vice, it may have been stepped on..the stock set has been refinished so bubba may stood on the reciever to hammer the stock in after the poly.

OK, I think I've figured this one out. I used a bolt and nut, vice grips to open up the bent area. The bolt carrier was still *tight* and hard to remove. I popped it out and worked on it some more.
I finally got the the carrier to cycle normally and took it outside to really give it a good rack session back and forth. It stuck the rear almost immediately.
{PROBLEM DIAGNOSED} It appears to me that the trunnions on this century build may be spaced a little further apart than normal. Hence the carrier popping out. (even the rec'ver is a little "short"-due to the trunnion spacing I believe) This is where BUBBA tried to fix the problem by bending the **** out of the receiver.
I cut a simple recoil buffer out of an old floor mat and in now cycles by hand every time. feeds and ejects dummy rounds just fine.
I am going to try to function test it this weekend. I am pretty sure it will work just fine now.
I dremeled the muzzle nut spot weld and put a 74 style brake on it.
The rifle is practically new but has the typical wasr mag wobble. It does not appear to be a military kit either.

Memorial weekend update...I function tested the WASR.....100% reliability...I ran one mag through with the homemade buffer and it was all good...changed it to the commercial buffer and ran the second mag through it....ALL WAS GOOD.
On a side note, I only shot it for function--didn't have the time to play with sighting it in. I was very surprised that all the rounds hit within a dinner platter size area from 100yards. This is the first WASR I've fired....
The fix was easy with excellent results....as long as a buffer is used at anyrate :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
'Cause the price I am getting it at is less than a parts kit...if I can it running it will be an EXTREMELY cheap AK...if not the parts alone is worth what I am paying for it....

·
Silver Bullet member
12,903 Posts
turnbuckle, maybe weld 2 nuts together, then expand with bolts screwed out....... maybe fill a plastic bottle with water, stick it in the reciever and put in the freezer. heck, i give up.:)

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I cant see the recever to tell if it is one side more than the other. Or how wide a bend is into it. If you cut a lets say 2x4 to a taper or wedge you may get it to straighten out some. There arnt to many things on an AK you cant fix with a big frickin hammer.

You might be able to chuck up the recever on the not so bent end in a vice. Then take a peice of flat steel bar stock or plate and clamp it off the the recever in the bent portion of your recever with vice grips or small C-Clamps. Then carefully pull the area back into place.

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
56,652 Posts
First before any of the above I'd C clamp the the trunnions to keep from damaging the riveting at those points. The main problem I see is the WASR receiver is hardened, if it's bent it's going to want to spring back, that might make it tough. I think I'd go with some sort of wedge, it works with 1911's, although you might need to make something to go over the rails (hardwood blocks?) to keep from damaging them.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
First before any of the above I'd C clamp the the trunnions to keep from damaging the riveting at those points. The main problem I see is the WASR receiver is hardened, if it's bent it's going to want to spring back, that might make it tough. I think I'd go with some sort of wedge, it works with 1911's, although you might need to make something to go over the rails (hardwood blocks?) to keep from damaging them.
Good point I am thinking stripped recever. I forgot to anticipate the rivet heads protruding causing an obstruction of the steel plate from contacting the recever. Let alone the trunion to recever.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,549 Posts
Use a couple of large "C" clamps to spread it back out.
Some 5, or 6 inch , or larger clamps should do it. Put one on each side, tighten them up and use as a lever.
Can probably just lean on them with your weight and it should open up.

·
Registered
141 Posts
put a wooden hammer handle in there and turn it so it stretches the receiver out. If you can find a hammer that is of a smaller size, it would work better. Just leave it over night and see what happens. It's worked for me!

·
Platinum Bullet Member
444 Posts
Bill, I have a pair of small leveling blocks that are used on a mill table, they work sort of like a screw jack, and might be just the thing you need to spread the receiver back out. Shoot me an email or PM with your address, and I'll send them to you.

John

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'll try to correct it; range test it and if it appears dangerous I'll strip it for parts and sell the barrel. As I said before for the money I will have in it, it's all good no matter how it turns out.

But I believe if I can straighten it out enough without any stress cracks it will be just dandy.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Yes try to fix receiver. It wont hurt to use any above mentioned methods if it works .After isf still too tight .It wont hurt to take a file to the inner and upper rails .Just take your time fitting it and trying the bolt very often during the process. Dont get in a hurry. Early ewbanks and Global trades receivers were sometimes very tight like you speak of . Often the center support over pressed.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.