Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Corbin's bullet swaging handbook has some interesting things to say about boattails - like they're not the ultimate bullet they're made out to be. They measured bore wear in dozens of different kinds of bullets and found that boattails cause more (but not fatal) bore erosion in the chamber throat compared to flat-base bullets (like the French military bullet). I personally will not loose any sleep over that, but it's interesting info. Also, Dave Corbin developed something called the Rebated Boat Tail, which combines the long-range advantages of the standard boat-tail with a flat shoulder for less gas cutting.........

What I could do is design a bullet for the French @ 139g with a rebated boat tail. Or, easier to make and cheaper, just stick with the French mil design. The "RBTFMJ" would be about 25% more expensive, but would probably be one-holers, especially in a '36 MAS bolt rifle.

These bullet swaging dies are going to set me back at least $2800, so I'd sure appreciate some comments from MAS fanatics out there on what type you'd like. I'm going to run these bullets regardless of demand, but I'd like to please at least the majority of MAS shooters.......

Any comments/input?

·
Registered
376 Posts
RBT

The rebated boat tail has been with us for quite a while and works very well.Lapua D46,1970's Hornady match bullets(168 and 190) and a few others.I like them but wonder if there isnt some lower limit of weight to length ratio problems(bearing surface)with 150 and lower?I for one would love to give them a try.Will

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
If one wishes to duplicate the ballistic of the Mle 1929C cartridge and take full advantage of the rifle sights and more importantly the APX L 806 scope users, a FMJ flat base could provide a drag factor close to the original bullet.

kelt

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
flat-base

Seems like the consensus (on all the shooting boards) is to keep the French mil design. As far as swaging with Corbin dies is concerned, flat-base bullets are cheaper and easier to make. I haven't met any MAS fan who's into the 1000-yard Match gig.....so ballistically, the flat base won't induce any fatal drag-realated instability.

Flat-base would go for about $33/100. Exact same dimensions and weight as the pre-'79 bullet, except that instead of the French mil "tapered-groove" cannelure, my bullets will have the standard couragated (straight knurled) cannelure, same style as US FMJ's have. Also, I'm going with jacketing that's close to pure copper, softer than military gilding and easier on the bore. Easier on the jacket-drawing dies, too!

I'm just hoping I can please some of the true MAS fanatics.........aside from myself!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
another option for 7.5 MAS reloaders

One of the big reasons I want to swage these bullets is because no dealer here in the USA has ever imported Prvi/Partisan's type.

Prvi lists a 139-grain, FMJ flat-base as #B-007. Perfect for French shooters. Butcha' cain't get 'em here.

So, I switched on my Pest mode (not hard!) and bugged Graf about bringing some in. Here is the reply:

Dear Mr. Johnson,

We may consider importing this bullet in 2009. Our 2008 catalogs are out and we usually don't buy any new large quantities until our next catalog. We do have the 30cal (.308) 150gr FMJ Prvi bullet on order, which you could use in the 7.5x54 French rifle. Your cost on these would be $152.91 per 1000.

If we can be of any further assistance, please let us know.

Thanks,
Carl Graf
Graf & Sons

Now that's customer service!

If Graf's doesn't import these come, say, March, I'll go ahead with my order for dies. My FMJ's will most likely be a bit more accurate, but also maybe a dollar or two more expensive: no small outfit is ever going to match Prvi's huge plant for efficiency. In fact, accuracy would be the only sane reason to choose my bullets over theirs, so I plan to make Damn sure my slugs are one-holers.

Except on this one small matter, I do my business with Grafs on a regular basis. Excellent outfit, and it's damn near impossible these days for a Company to get high praise from this old machinist Curmudgeon..............

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have just sold my MAS 36 but fed it a diet of NATO 146 gn fmjs for the GPMG. After 400 yards I found that the difference between yards and metres came into play and I stopped at 600 yards. The next distance at Bisley was 800 yards and I couldnt be hassled with a possibly pointless trip for another day!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts