Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This rifle was build in 1977 at Weapons Depot 1 by the Finnish Military as a competition rifle. The birch stock has biathlon comp features with a high comb and pistol grip. The fore end is inletted on the bottom and left side with aluminum rails. These are used with adjustable sling swivels, palm supports and bipods.

The receiver was built in 1894 by Izhevsk. It is glass bedded into the stock and the barrel is free floating. The receiver has been modified on the rear left side by milling and tapping. This allows the competition diopter sight to be installed with its dove tail shaped base. A small portion of the right outer receiver rail is removed to allow for the turned down bolt handle to close. The stock is also recessed in this area.

The bolt is heavily modified with a flattened turn down bolt handle. The bolt is of unknown origin, but the bolt head and connector bar are also from Izhevsk. The striker has a portion of the top left shoulder beveled so it can clear the rear sight during operation. This is one of the smoothest Mosin Nagant bolts I have ever operated.

The two stage trigger is a Model 27 type, pinned and held in place by the sear spring. It is smooth with no creep whatsoever. It breaks at about 4 lbs.

The barrel is bright, sharp and pit free. I have only sighted this rifle in and did a couple of groups with surplus Czech and Hungarian light ball. This rifle consistently shot 3/4" groups and less at 100m. I'm curious how well it would do with some higher quality ammo.

Needless to say, its the pride of my Finn collection. I hope some of our fellow members from Finland might be able to provide some information on what type of accessories were used with this rifle while in military service. Even a couple of pics while in service would be nice. I have a commercial adjustable palm support/sling swivel and bipod for use, but they are not original to the rifle.

Hope you enjoy the pics.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the nice comments. I knew when I first came across this rifle it would be as close as I would ever get to owning a Tkiv 85. The M28-66 and M28-76 are the direct lineage to the M85. I am amazed how the Finns can hone the accuracy of the Mosin Nagant to the ultimate level. Whether that is an M91 right up to the M39. The Russians had the right formula, but the Finns knew how to perfect it.

Does anyone else possess one of these military competition rifles?

(If anyone is interested in one of these rare rifles, I know where there is a M28-66 target rifle for sale. It is fitted with a Wetzler 4 x 36 scope and is also direct from the Finnish military.)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If the rear sling attachment was on the left side of the butt, it would interfere with the correct placement of the cheek for a right handed shooter. The use of this set up (same component as on the M39) is very solid and won't get in the way.

I've tried the M39 with the sling on the side of the butt stock and found that it got in my way while shooting. I keep the slings set up in the "infantry" position.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.