Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
7,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got this in today. I've owned at least 30 of these, and handled countless others. Ain't never seen one like this. Hilt is attached with a peened copper pin. There were never any sakura on the "ears" of the backstrap. There are rotation marks, as if there were a barrel nut, with sakura shaped ends, similar to those on some police swords. Decorations on the pommel are VERY worn. This sword was carried a lot, for a long time. Wire wrap is copper, and probably replaced. Horn grip. Blade was plated, over old rust/pitting. Maybe was not plated originally? Also, under the plating, it was sharpened, in Japanese fashion, first two-thirds. Scabbard is rough, and not original, as it doesn't fit well. Anyone ever see this style hilt?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I agree that is a interesting sword, I have owned, handled and seen a good many Type 19's also, but never one exactly like that one that is neat for sure. It sure has seen some use and show's the wear. That is very nice and unusual sword

·
Platinum Bullet member
7,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Given the amount of wear, you would think it was a Police sword. But the guard has the Army sakura arangement. I'm tempted to drill the pin out, and have a look at the tang. Blade looks machine made. But, who knows? Very perplexing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts